Position: Business Development Officer – Water
Time input: Full – time.
Location: Field based, in Mwingi North – Kitui.
Deadline to apply: 9th June 2019.
Desired start date: 1st July 2019.
Length of commitment: 2 years, non-renewable, with a 3-month long probation period.
About Rural Focus Ltd
Rural Focus Ltd (RFL) is a private engineering and consultancy company working in the Water Sector in East Africa for over the last 20 years. RFL has implemented diverse projects with scope ranging from water research, water services engineering to water resources management. Its clientele base includes Governments, NGOs, Private enterprises, and Research institutions.
Further details are available at: www.ruralfocus.com
In the rural sub-sector, RFL is implementing a programme aimed at incubating a startup social enterprise, FundiFix (http://fundifix.co.ke/), to provide repair and maintenance service to water infrastructure serving rural communities and institutions for increased functionality and a reliable drinking water service to rural households.
RFL’s role in the programme includes providing business development support to FundiFix for growth and financial sustainability. In this regard RFL wishes to recruit a Business Development (BD) Officer – Water to support FundiFix implement its growth strategy.
The recruited BD officer will work in close collaboration with RFL and report to FundiFix management.
The main role of the Business Development Officer will be to strengthen and expand FundiFix’s growth.
He/She will be expected to perform the following roles:
- Management, monitoring and reporting of FundiFix operations in delivering reliable water services in rural Kenya.
- Ensure good customer service and professionalism in delivery of FundiFix services to clients.
- Support ongoing training of FundiFix staff in technical services, financial and business management.
- Business development, working with County Governments in Kenya and local actors including NGOs, Donors, and Private Sector, to ensure repair and maintenance contracts for both new and existing water supply infrastructure and funding are secured.
- Identify new business opportunities for FundiFix in the Kenya water sector, including but not limited to repair and maintenance of rural water infrastructure.
- Support FundiFix management in development of high-quality proposals/bids for new and relevant business opportunities and ensure delivery within agreed timelines.
- Support marketing and positioning of FundiFix as the go to service provider of relevant rural water services.
- Support wider activities implemented by FundiFix in collaboration with its partners.
Education & Key Competencies:
- Minimum of Bachelors degree in Water/Civil Engineering or Water Resources Management, or a related field.
- Minimum of 3 years work experience in writing bids/proposals for projects in the following thematic areas:
- Water infrastructure repair/maintenance.
- Water-related research/studies.
- Water infrastructure development.
- Experience in design, development and/or rehabilitation of water supply infrastructure is preferred.
- Knowledge of the Kenya water sector policy framework, institutions, actors, and their roles and responsibilities.
- Knowledge of the Public Procurement and Asset Disposal Act (2015) of Kenya and experience with commercial tendering.
- Ability to independently identify, develop, acquire, manage and deliver new water business opportunities.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively with team members in various locations, including remotely writing and revising bid/proposal documents to secure inputs within tight deadlines.
- Excellent written English (written/spoken) is essential.
Apply for this position:
If interested in this opportunity, please send your CV and a cover letter (including details of 3 references) to firstname.lastname@example.org before mid-night on 9th June 2019.
Kindly indicate ‘Business Development Officer – Water’ in subject header of the email.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Only those candidates who meet the above qualifications and are available to start as from July 2019 are encouraged to apply.
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.