Request for Proposal
Development of Long Term Post Harvest Loss Action Plan for Four Counties
TechnoServe is a nonprofit organization that works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We develop business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that hardworking people can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
For more work on Technoserve, please visit: http://www.technoserve.org/
TechnoServe is implementing YieldWise initiative aiming at reducing postharvest losses by 50% come 2020, and sustainably increasing farmer incomes. The project operates in Central, Coastal, Lower Eastern and Upper Eastern regions in Kenya consisting of Meru, Embu, Tharaka- Nithi, Kirinyaga, Muranga, Machakos, Makueni, Garissa, Lamu, Kilifi, and Tana River Counties.
The achievement of national food security is not only a key objective of the agricultural sector but also a milestone for the sustainable development goal (SDJ1). Food security, in this case, is defined as “ a situation in which all people, at all times, have physical, social and economic access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food which meets their dietary needs and food preferences for an active and healthy life” (Kenya Food Security Steering Group, 2008).
In recent years, and especially starting from 2008, the country has been facing severe food insecurity problems. These are depicted by a high proportion of the population having no access to food in the right amounts and quality.
It is estimated that over 10 million people are food insecure with the majority of them living on food relief.
Households are also incurring huge food bills due to high food prices. The current food insecurity problems are attributed to several factors, including the frequent droughts in most parts of the country, high costs of domestic food production due to high costs of inputs especially fertilizer, displacement of a large number of farmers in the high potential agricultural areas following the post-election violence which occurred in early 2008, high global food prices and low purchasing power for large proportion of the population due to high level of poverty (Kenya Agricultural Research Institute). Besides, this is also contributed by the amount of food that does not reach the final customer due to post-harvest losses.
This post-harvest system comprises a range of interconnected activities, from the time of harvest through processing, marketing, preparation, and finally consumption decisions at the consumer level. Approximately 1.3 billion tonnes of food products for human consumption is lost or wasted, globally (IFPRI, SNV). Up to over 35% of the food produced in Kenya goes to waste. Estimates of fruits and vegetable losses in Kenya have, however, been reported to be as high as 35%, mainly due to poor storage and handling practices, infestation and poor transportation, to name but a few.
Deliberate efforts are required from the private and public stakeholders in this industry in order to reduce these losses. The actions by the county government need to be intentional, more targeted and sustainable.
For counties to have long term actions that focus on PHL, there is a need to institutionalize long term action plans that address on PHL that are cascaded to the smallholder farmers.
TechnoServe, under the influence component, aims to achieve action planning with a number of county governments in their efforts to reduce post-harvest losses in mangoes.
Purpose of the RFP – County Long Term
TechnoServe seeks to engage a consultant/consulting firm to support TechnoServe’s YieldWise team in developing long term Mango action plan for selected 4 counties. The action plan will focus on ways that selected counties can adopt long term action that focuses on reducing mango PHL while increasing incomes for value chain players based on specific county contexts.
Work with the project team, value chain players and public sector to collect data/information that relates to the mango value chain and define specific logical actions plan and provide practical ways for implementing the action plan.
- Develop county specific business cases and action plan for PHL reduction based on data/information collected
- Carry out meetings with specific actors to validate the action plan.
- Categorize and prioritize the bottlenecks to an enabling business environment per county
- Document the resources, infrastructure and planned future investments in these counties and provide areas of leverage
- Document the key aspects per county that contribute to Post-Harvest Losses (PHL) and provide viable solutions to addressing this across the mango value chain
- Document the key economic activities of the counties and the ranking of mango farming across the family incomes
Scope of Service
The scope of work includes developing a strategy that demonstrates a clear pathway that any county can adapt long term plan that addresses critical mango PHL drivers. The consultant is expected to consult with the Yieldwise Team and use information from project documents, carry out informative interviews from industry players, government officials and selected farmers.
The consultant shall develop a robust and executable action plan that can be implemented and replicated by any county government. The consultant will be supervised by the project manager or his/her designee.
Deliverables and Timelines
This assignment will have the following deliverables
- A work plan developed and approved (WK1)
- Information and field data collection including desktop review (WK2-5)
- Comprehensive analysis and development of each county strategy (WK6-8)
- Progress report (WK9)
- Strategy presentation and Validation meetings with selected players, including The donor team (WK10-11)
- Consolidation and incorporation of market players’ feedback into the strategies (WK12-13)
- Knowledge management and sharing (WK14)
- The final report in Word and PowerPoint. Wk14
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Strong strategy consulting background preferred
- Strong team management and networking skills
- Strong background in economics, business and strategy development
- Excellent analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal communication and information-gathering skills
- Ability to structure and manage complex tasks
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently, delivering high-quality end products
- Excellent writing and PowerPoint presentation skills
- A Master’s Degree in economics, business or related field is an advantage
Interested organizations should submit their technical and financial proposal containing the following:
- Documentation describing their experience, previous relevant work and how they fit the required qualifications
- Detailed profiles of their business/organization and cv’s for key personnel for the assignment
- A budget proposal for the consultancy that should be inclusive of all costs and relevant taxes.
- Three (3) references of organizations previously worked for and attach links to reports previously done
Criteria of Selection
The evaluation of each response to this RFP will be based on the requirements set out in the solicitation and any addenda thereto.
At the sole discretion of TECHNOSERVE, the top proposals may be selected for follow-up questions or to provide an oral presentation.
The following weighting and points will be assigned to the proposal for evaluation purposes:
Submission of the Proposal
The proposal should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and should be received by COB 9th May 2019
Terms and Conditions
1. The Request for Proposal is not and shall not be considered an offer by TechnoServe.
2. All responses must be received on or before the date and time indicated above. All late responses will be rejected.
3. All unresponsive responses will be rejected.
4. All proposals will be considered binding offers. Prices proposed must be valid for the entire period provided by the respondent or required by RFP.
5. All awards will be subject to TechnoServe contractual terms and conditions and contingent on the availability of donor funding.
6. TechnoServe reserves the right to accept or reject any proposal or cancel the solicitation process at any time and shall have no liability to the proposing organizations submitting proposals for such rejection or cancellation of the request for proposals.
7. TechnoServe reserves the right to accept all or part of the proposal when the award is provided.
8. All information provided by TechnoServe in this RFP is offered in good faith. Individual items are subject to change at any time, and all bidders will be provided with notification of any changes.
9. TechnoServe is not responsible or liable for any use of the information submitted by bidders or for any claims asserted therefrom.
10. TechnoServe reserves the right to require any bidder to enter into a non-disclosure agreement.
11. The bidders are solely obligated to pay for any costs, of any kind whatsoever, which may be incurred by the bidder or any third parties, in connection with the Response. All responses and
supporting documentation shall become the property of TechnoServe, subject to claims of confidentiality in respect of the response and supporting documentation, which has been clearly marked confidential by the bidder.
12. Bidders are required to identify and disclose any actual or potential Conflict of Interest.