Job Title: Finance and Administration Manager
- Finance Assistant / Officer
- Operations and Admin Assistant / Officer
- Office and General Assistants
Reporting to: Country Manager, Kenya
- Kenya Programme team;
- UK Finance, HR and Operations Teams
Deputy Head of East Africa
Salary range: KES 3,966,871 – KES 4,736,651 gross p.a.
Contract Duration: This is an open contract that is subject to continuation of funding
Background: Saferworld is an independent international organisation working to prevent violent conflict and build safer lives. We work with local people affected by conflict to improve their safety and sense of security.
We do this by supporting effective policies and practices through advocacy, research and policy development, and through supporting the actions of others. We have programmes in around 20 countries and territories across Africa, the Middle East, Asia and Europe and have over 150 staff We work with a wide range of partners including government agencies, international organisations, civil society organisations, youth and women groups; and communities.
This position is an exciting opportunity to be an integral part of Saferworld’s Kenya team.
Reporting to the Country Manager and Head of Office, you will take the lead in financial and administrative matters.
The post holder will support the Country Manager with all internal processes financial, administrative and operational. The Finance/Administration Manager will represent Saferworld as necessary in interactions with relevant authorities and stakeholders. The post-holder will contribute to Saferworld’s strategy in Kenya and be a member of the senior management team (SMT).
The Finance / Administration Manager will be responsible for:
- The effective management of finance and administration staff.
- The efficient and transparent management of finances and financial procedures
- Lead in developing capacity support and collaborative relationships with Saferworld staff and partners to ensure effective financial management across the board
- Implementation and monitoring of administration procedures;
- Implementation and management of legal procedures
Roles and Responsibilities:
The effective management of the Finance and Administration teams in Saferworld’s Kenya office
- Allocate key roles and responsibilities within Saferworld Kenya’s Finance and Admin teams;
- Build capacity of and line-manage the Finance, Admin Officers and Assistants;
- Undertake performance review and management of Kenya’s Finance and Admin teams
The efficient and transparent management of finances
- Lead the development and maintenance of robust financial controls (bank reconciliations and other control accounts, performance management data, etc.)
- Oversee staff to ensure accurate data entry into ledger accounting system, lead improvement and system enhancement work, ensuring good housekeeping;
- Develop the country annual budget and make appropriate revisions as per instructions from the Finance Director.
- Support the development of budgets for donor proposals and ensure staff and office costs are appropriately covered by donor proposals;
- Lead in effective monitoring of country and project budgets;
- Lead reporting to Saferworld colleagues, donors and London head office. Focus on continuous improvement and ensure that reports are user-friendly;
- Effectively organise and manage internal and external audits;
- Produce statutory (legal) accounts and other legal returns for Kenya;
- Monitor partners’ financial management as far as it relates to Saferworld-funded projects, ensuring compliance with Saferworld and donor rules and regulations, building knowledge and understanding, promoting improvements to financial management and reporting;
- Build financial capacity of Saferworld staff and partners.
Lead in developing capacity support and collaborative relationships with Saferworld staff and partners to ensure effective financial management across the board
- Develop strong relationships with all Saferworld colleagues and partners to enhance their understanding of finance and build their knowledge on day-to-day financial reporting and accounting
- Develop strong relationships with, and provide training and ongoing support to partner organisations so that they effectively and transparently manage their funds
- Provide support with performance management and capacity building of staff and partners
Implementation and monitoring of administration procedures
- Ensure the efficient running of Saferworld’s Nairobi office, identify needs and improve or develop systems where necessary;
- Develop, implement and monitor policies and procedures relating to Saferworld’s operations and administration in Kenya and Saferworld’s global policies, liaising with the Country Manager and Head of Office, and London teams.
- Lead development of consultant and partner contracts/memorandums of understanding;
- Ensure that all leases, insurance and other legal documents are in order, up-to-date, cost effective and relevant;
- With Country Manager and Head of Office, review the management of the security process as appropriate, and be active member of Saferworld’s security team in Kenya;
- Build administrative capacity of Saferworld staff and partners.
Implementation and management of legal procedures
- Lead administrative and legal procedures required for Saferworld’s registration in Kenya and ensure they are undertaken, liaising with lawyers and appropriate government departments where necessary;
- Ensure that requirements and procedures regarding taxes, visa, labour permits, etc. are understood and followed, liaise with appropriate government agencies where necessary, and support staff in compliance
This position is based in Nairobi.
There will be regular travel within Kenya to support Saferworld partners, conduct internal audits/due diligence assessments or advise on financial issues.
The post holder may be required to travel to Saferworld’s Head Office in London or to other countries for Saferworld related activities.
- A first degree in Business or Accounting or related field is essential
- Financial qualification (CPA or ACCA) and sound knowledge of accounting procedures, principles and systems;
- Understanding of NGO registration and legal procedures;
- Understanding of Kenya employment and financial legislation;
- Understanding of NGO Operation procedures and requirements
- Sound senior experience of working in a finance and administration role, in NGOs in Kenya;
- Experience in supporting partners in capacity building;
- Knowledge of SUN accounting system
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Swahili.
- A willingness to promote the work of Saferworld and develop collaborative work with others;
- Good interpersonal and team-working skills;
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of transparency, accountability, and honesty;
- Good IT skills, including in MS word and excel;
- A positive problem-solving approach;
- Ability to work in a diverse environment, sensitive to differences of ethnicity, religion and gender;
- A commitment to working in a non-partisan manner;
- A commitment to learn and be open to new ideas and approaches;
Terms and Conditions
Probation: There will be a probationary period of three months
Holidays: 28 days per calendar year in addition to agreed Kenya public holidays
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Download and complete an application form at www.saferworld.org.uk/jobs/jobs and send to Natalia Arkhipova at email@example.com (You must quote Ref: KFAM in the subject line)
Deadline for applications: 5pm (Kenya time) 24th May 2019.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: Please do not send your CV as it will not be accepted instead of or as well as a completed application form