Terre des hommes (Tdh)
Job title: Program Coordinator
Categories: ☐ Collaboration ☐ Advice ☒ Management
Reports to (Hierarchically): Country Representative
(Functionally): Senior Management Team
Number of subordinates: 2
Position Grade: A, Fixed Term
Working time in % : 100%
Starting date: 1st July 2019
Length: 10 months.
Context: Terre des hommes (Tdh) launched its activities in Kenya in January 2011. Tdh provides support to children in Dadaab refugee camp and in Korogocho slums. Tdh also implements health and nutrition projects in Garissa County.
Child Safeguarding: The responsibilities of the post requires regular contact with children.
Role Purpose: As a member of the Senior Management Team in Kenya, the Program Coordinator is responsible for driving the delegation ‘s program strategy, for ensuring development of high quality, evidence based, innovative projects for children. The Program Coordinator supports donor interface and resource development to ensure that the delegation strategy can be delivered. S/he plays a key role in defining and pursuing the strategic direction for Tdh’s programs in Kenya, ensuring the relevance, coherence, safety and impact of our programs for children.
S/he takes a lead in establishing systems for program monitoring, quality improvement, accountability, evaluation and learning, and in ensuring that results are captured, shared and used to inform programs. As a senior leader in the delegation, s/he plays a representational role with the government, donors, partners, peer agencies, Tdh HQ and others.
Key Areas of Accountability:
Resource Mobilisation and donor influence
- Oversees the development and implementation of Tdh Kenya fundraising strategy that aligns with the delegation’s capacity, needs and with donor priorities
- Actively identifies new opportunities, tracks new opportunities, steers the go/no go and retro planning for proposals
- Understands and influences donor funding priorities and manages the strategic analysis of the donor and member landscape
- Develops material to increase visibility and technical legitimacy
- Liaise with HQ to determine opportunities, support global donor relationship management
- Prepositions concept note to influence donors
- Keeps her/himself informed of context and needs through discussions with stakeholders, reads project reports and evaluations, carries out field visits to be kept informed of Tdh’s work
- Assesses risk and value for money of the opportunities
- Plans the proposal development (develops the retro-plan and holds teams accountable to delivering on time)
- Steers project design (problem and needs analysis, results and logical framework, management plan, staffing, budget and other resources, exit strategy, etc.)
- Writes and packages the proposal for donor submission (narrative and logframe, costing and budget notes) based on inputs from other departments
- Liaises with HQ throughout the proposal development process
Evidence based programme and project design
- Ensure that the delegation has high quality, cost-effective and evidence based projects
- Manage the needs/requests of Tdh HQ, donors and external partners to ensure quality results in programming
- Work closely with the Operations team to ensure program quality standards are established throughout the project cycle and across the portfolio, including operational research to inform program improvements
- Support the establishment and management of strategic partnerships through proactive prospection especially in the leading sectors of tech and of youth employment.
- Maintain surveillance on humanitarian needs and ensure that Tdh responds to unmet needs.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, Learning and Knowledge management
- Oversee the development of a monitoring system that provides timely and accurate project results
- Ensure on-going, accurate data collection and meaningful analyses with regular dissemination of strategic information to SMT and QMM to drive learning and improve program quality
- Ensure high quality evaluations are resourced and conducted to demonstrate outcomes and impact
- Ensure accountability mechanisms for all projects and that identified actions are resolved, with critical issues escalated to senior management
- Participate in project kick-offs and close-outs for significant awards to ensure effective strategic direction, establishment of quality standards and dissemination of learning
- Ensure the research, evaluation and policy work of the delegation contributes to generation of evidences for sound decision making and policy influencing within and outside the delegation and development and implementation of impactful and innovative programmes for children
Thematic Expertise, capacity building and quality assurance
- Monitor and advance technical and operational quality of field programmes in health and child protection with a focus on innovation, esp in the tech sector, and youth issues.
- Ensure effective working relationships with Tdh global technical advisors, procuring technical support as needed to support the delegation’s efforts, including during emergencies.
- Ensure that Tdh engages in larger communities of practice to link with the most relevant and evidence-based approaches
- Engage in relevant national and global networks
- Acts as the health and nutrition technical advisor for the delegation
Senior leadership function
- Provide leadership, strategic vision, coherence and direction to the country program as a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT)
Strategy and Planning
- Monitor and analyse the country context to position Tdh strategically amongst child-focused organisations.
- Lead the SMT to drive forward the strategy by coordinating input for the development and review of plans across departments.
- Provide leadership on the steering of annual planning and interactions in the quarterly monitoring meeting
- Facilitate the development and pursuit of thematic and cross-cutting strategic priorities, including equity, to guide current and future Tdh programming ( development and humanitarian)
- Support ownership and commitment to the delegation’s strategy by all staff and departments through clear communication, regular feedback on progress and engagement
Skills and Behaviours
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Tdh’s values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team
- Shares their personal vision for Tdh, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically, appetite for change, reluctant to maintain ‘business as usual’
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to, sense of humour
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- High level of self-awareness and willingness to take criticism as an opportunity for growth and self-development
- Ability to plan and manage time, multi-task and delegate tasks
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in relevant social science
- A minimum of seven years of senior management and development experience in an NGO environment, including experience directing and implementing programs for children
- Experience in more than one of Tdh’s thematic sectors: child protection, health and nutrition, emergencies
- Understanding of advocacy, policy, and government systems in Kenya and credibility to lobby, influence and represent Tdh at all levels
- Experience managing teams for resource mobilisation and submitting proposals including large proposals in a wide range of thematic areas
- Experience working with high level government agencies and academics on issues related to children
- Strong skills and proven experience in new business development, project design, and donor proposal design with corporate, foundations and institutional donors
- Strong skills and proven experience in leading strategic planning,
- Strong skills and proven experience in developing and managing monitoring, evaluation and learning systems
- Ability to research, write fluently in English without requiring third party proof reading
Abuse Prevention Policy – Operational Risk Management
- Commit to respect Tdh Risk Management Policies including: Child Safeguarding Policy, Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Code of Conduct, Whistle Blowing Policy
- Commit to ensure the best implementation possible of the Tdh Risk Management Policies
- Commit to inform supervisors and to deal with any cases, allegations, or possibility of transgression, even potential, of the Tdh Risk Management Policies
Languages: Fluency in English and Kiswahili
Only candidates that fit the requirements above are invited to submit a covering letter, CV, references, and copies of academic and professional certificates (if requirements are not met or application is incomplete, the application will not be considered).
The Application should be emailed email@example.com.
Kindly indicate the position on the subject line of the e-mail – only applications which will have complied with this request will be shortlisted.
Kindly note only applications sent to this email address will be considered.
Closing date for the application of this position is 22nd May, 2019
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a written test and oral interview
Tdh’s recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protect children’s rights, which includes the prevention of all forms of child abuse.
Tdh is an equal opportunity employer.