Job Title: Urban Designer / Master Planner
Business: Master Planning (Property Sector)
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Discipline: Urban Designer / Master Planner
Contract Type: Permanent
Line Manager: Property Market Director, Africa
Role: The urban designer will lead the master planning team and provide technical and professional support in the execution of master planning projects and broader urban and regional planning studies/projects in Kenya and the wider region.
The candidate will play a key role in the development of the Atkins’ master planning business in the Kenya and East Africa region. The urban designer will work closely with other urban planners and designers within the Atkins Global network and support the Africa Property Sector in business development initiatives, bid preparation and marketing.
Job Summary: To be the lead member of the Property Sector Urban Design team in Kenya and provide master planning, urban planning and project management services to external and internal clients as part of the Atkins’ Africa master planning team. To be involved in urban design, architectural, public realm, master planning and infrastructural strategic planning studies in the Kenya and East Africa environs.
- Degree or postgraduate qualification in urban design;
- Minimum 5-8 years’ experience in urban design, master planning and urban planning projects;
- Have a sound demonstrable knowledge of all aspects of master planning and property development including but not limited to buildings and architecture, infrastructure engineering, landscape design, environmental impact, stakeholder engagement, and business development.
- Very strong English language speaking and report writing skills.
- Preferable to have relevant experience in Kenya and the East Africa region and an understanding of the cultural norms and requirements of the country and region.
- Essential to have comprehensive knowledge of design suites such as AutoCad, Revit, Civils 3D and BIM 360.
- Knowledge of Adobe InDesign and ability to prepare high quality documents for client submissions.
- Preferable to have knowledge of other software programmes including GIS, Photoshop, 3D Max, Adobe design suite, Microsoft Office applications including MS Project and/or Primavera.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills, be a leader and motivator, team player and have a customer focus;
- Preferably will have previous consultancy experience and be looking to broaden their urban design and master planning and project management skillset within the East Africa context;
- Ability to solve problems by thinking laterally and be able to understand the needs and requirements of clients to provide astute and innovative design solutions;
- Must be able to work in a large, multidisciplinary, multicultural team and manage team members across a range of geographies;
- Must also be a self-starter who can work without direct supervision from senior management and/or peers;
- Able to be flexible and adapt to working in a demanding deadline driven environment including the need to travel when required.
- Lead in the production of high-quality urban design and master planning project submissions in Kenya and the wider East Africa environment;
- Support in the preparation of technical bids and fee proposals for master planning and urban design projects and other major infrastructure projects where appropriate;
- Project management of master planning projects involving multi-disciplinary teams, including the application of all Atkins business management systems;
- Will be required to travel within the East Africa region to projects in a variety of geographical locations.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with clients, attending meetings, workshops and seminars;
- Other duties associated with the main role and responsibilities will be requested from time to time.
Send your CV with a subject on the line’
Deadline is 15th May 2019