Exciting Opportunity: Plumber
Zetech University is a premier university offering exceptional learning to thousands of students from Kenya and beyond. The University offers programmes in Information Technology, Business, Hospitality and Tourism, Development studies, Communication and Media Studies.
Our Mission is to provide holistic education by promoting excellence in research, integrating innovation and technology in learning with the aim of developing well rounded citizens to impact the social, political and economic world.
The University has experienced positive growth in student enrolment and programme expansion. To support this growth, and in line with our commitment to bring on board qualified, skilled and motivated staff driven by passion for their work and career growth, we are seeking to recruit suitably qualified candidates to fill the position of a Plumber.
The successful candidate will be an innovative individual who not only dreams of realizing a dynamic, tech-powered environment but also possesses strong capability in actualizing ideas into actions and results. Individual talent supported by an achievement background shall be a key consideration in the recruitment.
Reporting to the Construction and Facilities Manager the position holder will, among other duties, be responsible for:
- Ensuring proper use, storage and maintenance of hand tools, equipment and basic light machinery;
- Inspecting and reporting malfunctioning plumbing fixtures, hand tools and light machinery used to carry out works;
- Installing pipes and fixtures such as sinks and toilets for fresh water, waste water or soil water as will be required from time to time;
- Installing supports for pipes, equipment, and fixtures prior to installation;
- Locating and marking the position of pipe installations, connections, passage holes, and fixtures in structures, using measuring instruments such as measuring tapes and levels;
- Measuring, cutting, threading and bending pipes to required angles using hand and power tools or machines such as pipe cutters, pipe-threading machines and pipe-bending machines;
- Cutting openings in structures to accommodate pipes and pipe fittings, using hand and power tools;
- Repairing and maintaining plumbing fixtures, replacing defective fixtures, replacing or mending broken pipes, and opening clogged drains;
- Modifying lengths of pipes, fixtures, and other plumbing materials as needed for a building;
- Choosing plumbing materials based on budget, location, and intended uses of building;
- Testing plumbing systems for leaks and other problems.
- Ability to perform carpentry and electrical works, as detailed below, will be an added advantage.
- Mechanical carpentry skills to work with a variety of tools and machines for example drills, hammers, ladders, rotary tools for drilling, hammering, remodeling, furniture repairs, sanding renovations among others;
- Accurately measuring materials to be cut and installation areas for fittings;
- Painting skills for all types of surfaces, that is, wooden, metal and concrete;
- Assembling ready furniture, shelves and other items and install them where designated;
- Building or repairing cabinets, doors, frameworks, floors, and other wooden fixtures used in buildings, using woodworking machines, carpenter’s hand tools, and power tools.
- An understanding of electrical circuits and cabling from source (switch room) to the point of use (power and lighting points)
- Assembling, installing, testing, and maintaining electrical or electronic wiring, equipment, appliances, apparatus and fixtures using hand and power tools;
- Diagnosing malfunctioning systems, apparatus, and components, using test equipment and hand tools, to locate the cause of a breakdown and correct the problem;
- Inspecting electrical components and fixtures such as circuit breakers, sockets and switches to ensure they pose no risks to the users and recommending repair or appropriate action where need be;
- Testing electrical systems and continuity of circuits in electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures, using testing devices to ensure compatibility and safety of system;
- Installing, replacing, repairing and maintaining wiring, power fixtures for example sockets, lighting fixtures using hand tools.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- High school qualification with a minimum of craft certificate from NITA or KNEC or equivalent qualification demonstrating plumbing knowledge;
- A combination of plumbing and carpentry or plumbing and electrical or plumbing, carpentry and electrical knowledge will be an added advantage;
- Demonstration of previous experience in carpentry works or electrical works or similar skills will be an added advantage.
- The person should be trainable on Carpentry and Electrical skills and willing to execute Carpentry and Electrical works;
- Strong knowledge in all aspects of plumbing repairs, maintenance and improvements and excellent problem – solving skills needed to complete jobs and tasks in a timely manner.
- Thorough knowledge in plumbing fixtures and systems to support the renovations, repair and maintenance of premises mechanical installations.
- Excellent customer service skills, professional presentation and appearance;
- Ability and confidence to accurately estimate labour and material costs to estimate jobs for repair and maintenance works;
Interested applicants to send their application letters and updated CVs via the email address -email@example.com quoting Job Ref. ZU/10/25/82 as the subject indicating the current and expected salary not later than 11th June 2019.
Due to the urgency, the recruitment will be done on a rolling basis.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ZETECH UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER