Republic of Kenya
Office of The Controller of Budget
The Office of the Controller of Budget is an independent office established under Article 228 of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010 to oversee and report on the implementation of the budgets of the National and County Governments to each House of Parliament every four months.
Pursuant to Article 252 (1) (c) of the Constitution, the Office seeks to recruit a qualified and competent staff to fill the following vacant position:
Director, Legal Services
Grade COB 3
Reporting to the Controller of Budget, the officer will be responsible for formulation and implementation of Legal, Governance and Compliance policies, systems and procedures and overseeing research on legal matters.
- Head the Legal Services Directorate;
- Advise management on legal, governance and compliance issues;
- Formulate legal, governance & compliance strategic direction aligned to government policies and the Constitution;
- Oversee implementation of legal, governance & compliance policies, systems and procedures;
- Initiate research on legal issues;
- Provide legal counsel to the institution on legal and legislative matters and ensure compliance with all statutory requirements;
- Ensure adequate preparation and representation of the institution in litigation cases
- Advise on any legal issues that may arise in the course of executing the mandate of the Office;
- Oversee drawing of contracts and agreements for the organization;
- Advise and ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements;
- Ensure safe custody of legal documents.
- Any other relevant duties assigned by the Controller of Budget.
Requirements for the position:
- Must have a Masters degree in Law or any other related field from a recognized University;
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in Law from a recognized University;
- Must have a Postgraduate Diploma in Law;
- Must have at least 10 years’ relevant work experience at management level;
- Must be an Advocate of the High Court;
- Must be conversant with the Constitution of Kenya, 2010;
- Sound knowledge of relevant laws, government policies and regulations.
Required Skills and Personal Attributes:
- Excellent Leadership skills;
- A team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of the Public Finance Management Act, 2012;
- Meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010.
Terms and Conditions of Service
Successful candidates for the above positions will be appointed on contract terms of service and will be offered a competitive remuneration package.
Qualified interested candidates should submit their applications quoting the job title on both the envelope and the cover letter.
Enclose a detailed and up-to-date curriculum vitae, indicating your current remuneration, home county, e-mail address and reliable daytime telephone contacts, together with copies of your certificates, testimonials and national identity card.
You should also provide the names of two referees who must be familiar with your previous work / academic experience indicating their telephone, postal and email addresses.
Please note that it is a criminal offence to provide false information and documents in the job application.
Candidates shortlisted for interviews for the above positions will be required to submit the following;
- Tax Compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
- Clearance Certificate from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigation
- Clearance from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
Applications should be sent by post or hand delivered to our Office addressed to:
The Controller of Budget
Bima House 12th Floor, Harambee Avenue.
P.O Box 35616-00100 Nairobi
so as to reach the Office of the Controller of Budget NOT LATER THAN 10TH JULY, 2019 AT 5.00PM.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NB: Those who had applied earlier for the position of Director Legal Services to reapply afresh.
The Office of the Controller of Budget is an equal opportunity employer.