Vacant Position: IT Specialist – Maternity Cover
RTI International is an independent organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition.
With a worldwide staff of more than 4,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and a full spectrum of multidisciplinary services.
Universities in North Carolina founded RTI in 1958 as a centerpiece of the Research Triangle Park.
The Kenya Crops and Dairy Market Systems Activity (KCDMS) is a five-year (October 2017 to September 2022) program of the USAID. It is funded as part of Feed the Future, the U.S Government’s global hunger, and food security initiative that helps to increase agricultural production and reduce poverty and malnutrition in Kenya. The KCDMS Activity is being implemented in 12 counties and designed to spur competitive, resilient market systems in Kenya’s horticulture and dairy sectors.
We seek to recruit an IT Specialist (Maternity Cover for 5 Months) – to be based in the Nairobi office.
The IT Specialist will perform IT related duties in support of the KCDMS team including Kisumu and Wote field offices.
She/he will be responsible for supporting PCs (Windows 7, Windows 10/ Microsoft Office 2013, Microsoft Office 2016) and Windows Server 2012 ensuring proper maintenance and data backups, setting up, maintaining and supporting the IT and network infrastructure for KCDMS.
He/she will also assist with technical specifications for procurement purposes, update inventory of IT equipment , provide first tier support and end user training on hardware and software usage, perform user acceptance testing and deployment support, among other tasks.
- To provide IT-related infrastructure and system support to KCDMS Activity, including internet access, firewall, network devices, file/database server, printers, Cisco IP Phone, backup systems and other IT-related support tasks
- To maintain KCDMS’ server as follows:
- To ensure Windows Server 2012 and other software are maintained and that patches are promptly applied on the server
- To check Windows Update status on the server and report to ITS Africa Regional Office if update required on weekly/monthly basis
- To ensure that McAfee antivirus both the engine and signature files are kept up-to-date
- To ensure data/information is backed up and maintained in accordance with RTI policies and procedures
- To maintain spare parts and carry out hardware repairs and restoration
- To provide support in matters related to PC software and its peripherals (Win 7 Pro, Win10 Pro, MS Office 2013/2016, Office 365 Suite, McAfee Suite, McAfee FDE, QuickBooks, Adobe products, etc.) including:
- To ensure Windows and other software are maintained and that patches are promptly applied on all computers
- To ensure the McAfee antivirus software is installed and both the engine and signature files are kept up-to-date
- To ensure information/data is backed up and maintained in accordance with RTI policies and procedures
- To ensure that only licensed software is installed on each end-user’s computer.
- To provide user support on hardware, networking and software-related issues
- Supervise the performance of any local IT firms or staff hired to support the project offices.
- Follow up on warranty claims for IT equipment
- Maintain proper IT Inventory Management for the project offices and conduct physical checks – as per need
- Ensure compliance with RTI Information Security policies, procedures and standards and train other project staff on IT policy
- First tier support and user acceptance testing
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Information Systems or Computer Science
- 3 years of relevant experience with management Information Systems (MIS) trainings, user training experience highly desired
- Strong PC and Server support experience
- Demonstrated experience in or basic knowledge of Windows Server 2012/ 2016, Firewall, Veritas Backup software, Office 365 package, MS Office 2013/2016, Win 7 Pro, Win 10 Pro, McAfee antivirus, McAfee FDE, Pulse Secure
- A customer service-oriented individual
- Ability to meet deadlines and work autonomously
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse environment
To apply, please email your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 25 June 2019.
Applicants must include the, POSITION title in the subject line of the email.
In addition, applicants should indicate their current and expected remuneration on the cover letter of their application.
Please do not attach copies of certificates.
We regret that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Please note: RTI International does not use agents or require any form of payment in the recruitment process.
“No applicant will ever be asked for any payment either to secure a role with RTI International or as a follow-up to having been awarded a position with RTI International. If anyone ever approaches you asking for any such payment, please immediately email email@example.com’’
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.