Job Title: Legal & Regulatory Counsel
Report to: Director Legal & Regulatory
Profile and Main Purpose of the Job:
The Legal & Regulatory Counsel will work with Wananchi Legal & Regulatory Affairs Department, including but not limited to supporting all entities within Wananchi Group (“Wananchi Portfolio”) in various jurisdictions.
- Preparing and reviewing contracts to be entered into with customers, suppliers, employees and consultants, with reference to templates and guidelines advised by the Director Legal;
- Ensuring continuous compliance, including conducting regular compliance health-check, filing returns with concerned Regulators, applying and renewing licenses;
- Liaising and attending stakeholder industry forums on behalf of the Wananchi portfolio;
- Prepare legal opinions and advisories on advancements in laws and regulations that impact Wananchi operations;
- Advising on risks, mitigation, required legal documents and compliance requirements for new engagements/projects;
- Attend disciplinary proceedings and advise on labor related matters.
- Dispute resolution, including negotiating settlements, attending to debt collection and correspondence with external legal counsel;
- Manage external counsel relations and legal fees;
- Attending to intellectual property matters, including registration and renewal of trademarks;
- Maintain an efficient filing system and central custody of all commercial agreements, leases, licenses & permits;
- Risk management – Assess legal& Regulatory issues and ensure risks are mitigated to enhance protection of the organization;
- Advising on compliance requirements, good corporate governance and best practice with regard to the activities of the companies;
- Support and assist the Director- Legal& Regulatory and undertake other duties as maybe assigned from time to time;
- A degree in Law (LLB), LLM will be an added advantage;
- Postgraduate Diploma from the Kenya School of Law
- Admission as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya
Professional, Experience and Skills
- Minimum of at least 5 years post qualification working experience;
- Good analytical skills;
- Good grasp of application of law in a business environment;
- Experience in Telecons/ICT industry as well as cross-border transactions;
- Ability to multi task and deliver on other tasks.
- Proactive, good temperament, right attitude, innovative and responsive in carrying out their duties.
- Ability to interface, engage and communicate professionally and politely at all levels within a corporate environment
Interested and qualified candidates to submit their application including a detailed CV and day time telephone contact to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 14th June 2019.
Wananchi Group is an equal opportunity employer and will offer competitive remuneration and benefits to the right candidate.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Note: Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.