Scope of Work / Project: Conducting an External / Statutory Audit
Firm or Individual: TBD
Estimated start date: August 1 2019
Estimated end date: September 30, 2019
Task Manager: Julia Otieno
Background Information: Mercy Corps (MC) is a non-profit, non-governmental organization based in Portland, Oregon in the United States of America doing humanitarian, relief and development work globally.
Since 1979, Mercy Corps has provided more than US$1.95 billion in assistance to people in 107 nations. Supported by headquarters offices in North America and Europe, the agency’s unified global programs employ 3,700 staff worldwide and reach nearly 16.7 million people in more than 40 countries.
Purpose of Engagement: Mercy Corps seeks to hire a firm to conduct the statutory audit and assist with preparation of financial statements for its operations in Kenya for fiscal year 2019. The successful firm will conduct the audit in Nairobi office with possibility of travel to one or more of the field offices within Kenya. This engagement will be led by Finance & Compliance Director, Julia Otieno supported by MC Kenya and MC AgriFin Accelerate Program finance and operations team.
Scope of Work
Mercy Corps fiscal year period globally and in Kenya is from 1st of July to 30th of June.
Therefore, Mercy Corps is due to conduct verification of its accounts according to Kenya laws and applicable regulations.
To undertake this assignment, the chosen firm is expected inter alia to possess the following core competencies and preform the following tasks:
1. Conduct in accordance with International Standards on Auditing and best local practices applicable to NGOs in Kenya
2. Assist with preparation and review of financial statements
3. To conduct transaction testing and conduct verification of the existence, ownership and valuation of assets and liabilities as considered necessary
4. To obtain an understanding of the accounting systems and internal control systems in order to assess their adequacy and accuracy
5. To establish whether proper books of accounts have been maintained by the Organization
6. Adhere to professional auditing standards as adopted in Kenya
7. Demonstrate staff capacity and sound knowledge of the NGO accounting
8. Demonstrate knowledge of NGO sector operation
9. Ability to review multicurrency transactions and issue financial statement in both, Kenya Schillings and US Dollars
10. Sound knowledge of project management issues both in humanitarian and development interventions.
11. Professional conduct by its staff at all times and willing to adhere to Mercy Corp’s values, and code of conduct and other core principles
The services listed above will be contracted under a fixed price contract, where they will be submitted as individual packaged deliverables.
The deliverables will be submitted as follows:
Cost Proposal Considerations and Terms of Payment
The following information on MC Kenya and MC AgriFin operations shall guide you in coming up with the realistic cost ad time proposal estimates:
The cost proposal must in Kenya Shillings and must include all applicable local taxes.
Payment will be made upon completion of the works and acceptance of all deliverables.
Once the deliverables have been accepted by Mercy Corps, the contractor may then submit an invoice.
Mercy Corps has no obligation, under any circumstances, to accept services that do not meet the minimum quality standards, as required by Mercy Corps and its donor(s)
1. Registration documents including ownership details.
2. Income tax compliance & VAT certificates
3. Technical Proposal – containing information about background of firm, past performance-references, personnel, audit methodology and audit timeline (signed and stamped)
4. Detailed budget in Kenya Shillings/cost proposal (signed and stamped)
Proposals must be submitted by Friday, July 5, 2019 at 5:00 pm Nairobi time to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mercy Corps reserves the right to not accept any offers submitted after the delivery due date.
Submit any questions for clarifications to email@example.com not later than 2nd July, 2019 at 10 am.
Questions will be answered not later than 2nd July, 2019 at 5 pm.