Nation Media Group seeks to recruit experienced and self-motivated individuals to fill the following vacant positions in the Editorial Department:
NEWS DATA SCIENTIST
JOB REF: HR-NDS-06-2019
Reporting to the Data Editor, the job holder will be responsible for setting up and coordinating a newsroom data warehouse to support stories and new projects. He/She will work with Online Editors. Web Producers and Online Video
Producers to determine the best ways to promote Nation journalism in the digital space, including data and in—depth storytelling.
The News Data Scientist must have strong data production skills, technical know-how needed for interrogating and applying data to current affairs issues, and the smart skills needed to conceive, structure, build and maintain a robust
warehouse to serve multiple newsrooms. He or she will need a solid understanding of social media. internet culture, web analytics and the digital space. He/She will be required to do journalism in a manner that conforms to the NMG
Editorial Policy and Guidelines for this dynamic audience.
- Set up and maintain a newsroom warehouse configured to support both day-to-day stories and complex news projects;
- Coordinate a data production workflow considering a multidisciplinary team of providers and a mix of customers on short deadlines:
- Draw content insights and infuse this into the newsroom workflows through regular editorial meetings and dashboards;
- Participate in content generation across categories and sites;
- Develop systems to support Nation’s data journalism.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Postgraduate qualifications in statistics;
- Evidence of 2-3 years of data production experience;
- Working knowledge of SEO and digital best practices:
- Ability to write and edit, conduct research and interpret data.
If you meet the above criteria, apply online at http://careers.nationmedia.com on or before July 12, 2019.
Note: We shall only contact the shortlisted applicants.