Norwegian Refugee Council
Education Project Assistant – Dadaab
Kenyan Nationals Only
Ref. nr.: 4093726083
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people.
NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs.
The NRC East Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme. NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007. NRC has WASH, Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counselling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab and Kakuma.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability.
These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
The purpose of the Education Project Assistant position is to assist in the day to day implementation of the Education project activities.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- To assist in the implementation of education activities under direction of the Education Officer and project documents.
- Supervise education activities and provide support to teachers in line with program objectives.
- Monitor and report on the project activities and ensure compliance with plans and NRC standards.
- Work with the community education committees in the planning, mobilization, sensitization and enrollment Learners of the project.
- Distribute and monitor the use of school materials and assets according to NRC procedures and policies including Schools assets registers.
- Administrate teachers’ and school children’s attendance, discipline, performance, mobilization and recruitment as per projects targets.
- Assist in the mentorship, coaching and support to teachers in their day today work.
- Suggest new methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of the activities.
- Provide SGBV, CRFM, Child protection and Teachers Code of Conduct sensitization and awareness to Teachers, Children and School Community and report all related concerns.
- Carry out data collection and verification as required and keep relevant source documents. Ensure ongoing monitoring and reporting of projects at field level and prepare field reports — Weekly, monthly and quarterly.
- Provide support to NRC activities, Schools and facilitate key activities with children in line with NRC quality standards.
- Ensure direct communication and feedback with beneficiaries and relevant host communities. Organize, support and participate in Coordination meetings, parent’s teacher’s association (PTA) meetings, Camp level Education Coordination meetings, Camp level Staff meetings, Children information session meetings and community-level meetings. Regularly travel to the field to support education, Co-Curriculum, recreation and psycho-social support (PSS) activities to schools.
- Organize and implement distributions of teaching and learning materials and NFls to project beneficiaries keep an updated Beneficiary list as required by the policy.
- Establishing positive work relations with headmasters, Centre Supervisors, UNHCR, UNICEF, other Partners and MoE representatives in the field level
- Prepare and file relevant documents as required by line manager
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by line manager
- Diploma in Education certificate from recognized and accredited institution
- Four years’ experience in Education project and with evidence of successfully implementation of similar projects
- Experience in supervising, training, and coaching plumping team staffs
- Emergency experience will be highly desirable
- Experience from working as a Project Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Some knowledge of English
- Academy college / University
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Good in conflict resolution
- Duty station: Dadaab
- Contract period is up to December 2019 with possibility of extension.
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Dadaab.
How to Apply
Visit www.nrc.no to apply online
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Education / Training
- Role: Assistant
Deadline for application: 19/06/2019
*Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position*