Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA Kenya) welcomes applications from qualified candidates for the following vacant position:
Senior Legal Counsel – Access to Justice
Nairobi (1 Position)
Reporting to the Deputy Executive Director, the successful candidate will be expected to provide legal aid services to clients, manage all Access to Justice programs, develop and maintain relationships with partners, create awareness on women’s rights and supervise staff in Access to Justice, Nairobi.
Access to Justice Programme
- Oversee the implementation of all the Access to Justice Programmes (Legal Representation, Pro bono Lawyers Scheme, Mediation, Counseling, Self- Representation and Informal Justice Systems).
- Oversees the day to day running of the Legal aid clinic.
- Coordinate and implement litigation processes
- Provide legal advice and referrals clients.
- Approve draft pleadings and prepare pleadings and court documents on behalf of clients.
- Represent clients in various courts.
- Conduct pre-trial briefings for self-representation clients.
- Conduct mediations between disputants
- Conduct trainings for Council of Elders and external mediators.
- Conduct research and prepare pleadings in Strategic Impact Litigation cases.
- Prepare and approve team and donor reports
Public Interest Litigation
- Monitor compliance with international and national legal obligations relating to women rights and jurisprudential developments and identify possible PIL cases.
- Participate in legal research for PIL cases, drafting pleadings, motions, briefs and other case-related documents.
- Represent FIDA Kenya in various courts.
- Participate in all aspects of FIDA Kenya legal advocacy work.
- Developing publications and other legal resources.
- Monitor and evaluate programmes and activities (prepare and oversee the preparation of team’s work plan, result based management reports, monthly team reports, activity reports)
- Engage in various researches organized by FIDA Kenya and other partners.
- Participate in the preparation of the organizations’ Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials.
- Issue and oversee the issuance of IEC material developed by the organization and other partners.
- Liaise and partner with other NGOs, Government departments or relevant bodies in gender related cases at national, continental and international level (participating in partner meetings, engaging in capacity building trainings and joint strategies on protection of women’s rights).
- Makes interventions and petitions on behalf of the public in gender related issues including press briefings.
- Enhance organization visibility through use of social media.
- Authorize expenditure at the sector/departmental level through approving requisitions, approving litigation fund.
- Oversee timely and effective submission of financial returns.
- Appraise team members.
- Conduct interviews for Legal Counsel/ Legal Assistant and Interns.
- Ensure that staff meetings are held as required.
- Coordinate and approve staff leave
- Participate in proposal writing
- Provide support in resource mobilization strategies
- Oversee operational management of assigned programs.
- Ensure proper planning, implementation, and reporting of projects.
- Ensure that program objectives/interventions and budget compliance are met;
- Coordinate and support high quality research, in order to generate knowledge on women rights, law and governance.
- MUST be an advocate of the High Court of Kenya with a current practicing certificate;
- Have at least five (5) years post admission experience;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in litigation and women rights issues;
- Possession of a Master’s degree in law or social sciences and NGO experience will be added advantage.
Interested candidates who fully meet the above criteria should send a cover letter and detailed CV by 18th June 2019 to: The Executive Director, FIDA Kenya, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only email applications will be considered and only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The application MUST include contacts of three referees one of whom must be a former supervisor, expected salary, daytime contact, job title and job reference number.
FIDA Kenya is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on any basis including age, gender, sex, race, ethnic origin, social origin, disability, religion, and marital status.