Job Vacancy: Education Officer
Starting Gross Salary: KES 70,000 – 80,000
Xavier Project has been working in Kenya and Uganda for last 10 years offering education opportunities to refugees of all- ages.
Our mission is to ensure that refugees are able to lead safe and fulfilled lives, whatever their background and we believe education is the best tool to achieve this.
Xavier Project is primarily an education focused NGO, and while we have media and livelihoods programmes educational interventions make up the core of our activities within these programmes.
Xavier Project is registered as a local NGO in Uganda, an international NGO in Kenya and a company and charity in UK.
All operations are in Kenya and Uganda, but a majority of funds are raised in UK.
We have a three way partnership agreement between the branches of Xavier Project and one executive team primarily based in the Xavier Project headquarters in Nairobi.
Job Description and Expectations
Xavier Project is partnering with UNHCR to provide access to education to over 2000 refugees in Nairobi and its environs, Nakuru and Mombasa Counties.
In addition, in partnership with UNHCR and Tegla Loroupe Peace Foundation (TLPF), Xavier Project is supporting a Refugee Athletes Project based in Oloolua Sub-County, Ngong County, on the outskirts of Nairobi.
The project seeks to tap into the energy, potential and talents of young refugees through positive sports-based engagement.
The school going athletes are provided with quality education consistent with the Kenya national curriculum to ensure that they are able to curve out a clear path for their future.
The education officer will work closely with UNHCR and TLPF to ensure efficient implementation of this project.
Xavier Project is looking for an Education Officer who will:
- Liaise with UNHCR and TLPF to ensure the program achieves maximum results.
- Coordinate participation of the athletes in various athletic events
- Facilitate payment of athletes monthly stipends
- Ensure all school going athletes have access to education
- Facilitate fee payment for all school going athletes
- Maintaining up to date records or data with regards to the athletes’ academic and athletic progress.
- Maintain a good relationship with the learning institutions where athletes are learning
- Organise for the distribution of athletes learning resources.
- Be a team player by supporting other FXP staff whenever called upon.
- The candidate MUST demonstrate how they will creatively contribute to the Xavier Project’s vision and growth.
- Must hold a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Must be able to efficiently work with youth from diverse background of 14-25 years of age
- Experience in physical education will be an added advantage
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Should be able to manage project budgets
- Be able to work outside of the official working hours when there is need to.
- Able to travel out of Nairobi on short notice
- Excellent interpersonal skills especially ability to work with people from different back grounds.
- Adequate knowledge of the Kenyan education system.
- Advanced analysis and problem solving skills
- Ability to conduct monitoring and evaluation
- Experience in project management
Expectations of Xavier Project
The Xavier Project is a tight community and strong support network is offered to all members. We are diverse, representing seven nationalities.
Xavier Project is committed to ensuring that all staff members enjoy their work and gain valuable experience and skills that will enhance their impact now and in the future.
As such as we run regular staff capacity building programmes and we encourage all staff members to pursue opportunities which will help them to grow individually.
Method of Application
Candidates interested in applying for this job should send their CV with names and contact details of 2 referees and responses to the questions below in place of a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org..
- Besides the scope of ones duties and responsibilities, one other factor that can significantly influences ones productivity is the work environment.
- What are some of your best work place experiences?
- Briefly describe 3 professional lessons you have learnt in the past and how they could be of help in this position you are applying for.
- You are working on a project that has a tight deadline.
- You are unable to progress as quickly as you would like because your supervisor is not available to give you all the directions you need.
- How would you deal with the situation?
Applicants are urged to apply as soon as they can and not wait until the 28th June 2019 deadline.
Candidates should use email title: KENYA EDUCATION OFFICER.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Xavier Project is an equal opportunity employer and therefore does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, origin, gender or disability.