An Exciting Career Opportunity: Accounts Assistant
African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) is a premier capacity building institution devoted to the advancement of research and training to inform economic policies in Sub-Saharan Africa.
AERC, now 29 years in existence was formed to address a glaring gap in economic policy analysis and research, coupled with a need to strengthen postgraduate training in economics, in sub-Saharan Africa.
We are seeking to fill the position of an Accounts Assistant to be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The position will report to the Accountant.
Overall Job Purpose: Overall day-to-day responsibility for supporting the program divisions by maintaining proper accounts in the financial accounting system (Microsoft Dynamics Navision) and applying financial control measures in the various transactions to provide relevant information to stakeholders.
The position has overall accountability for the accuracy and consistency of the data posted into the accounting system.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Financial Systems
- Processing vendor invoices (accrual entries) and maintaining the accrual ledger account in ERP for trade vendors.
- Making necessary corrections to any posting errors and/or advising the same to programmes.
- Verifying accuracy of transactions entered into the accounting system (trade vendor reconciliations).
- Processing the payroll, staff advances, other staff claims, and statutory payments in a timely manner.
- Allocating the various shared costs to various divisions and/or to various donors funding the costs (salaries and shared costs).
- Providing support in data entry into electronic funds transfer payment systems.
- Ensure proper files are maintained to support all transactions processed.
- Assisting in the preparation of special audits as required by specific donor grant conditions (audit schedules).
- Assisting in the implementation of the external audit recommendations.
- Assisting in the preparation of and populating actual to Programme of Work and Budget for budget variance reports.
- Assist in monthly cash flow preparations for cash requirements.
3. Cash Management
- Custodian of petty cash; ensuring safety of the cash, cheques and contents in the AERC safe.
- Undertaking cash deposits and withdrawals for staff and workshop advances.
4. Disbursements (Payables)
- Verifying accuracy of supporting documents in relation to workshop and travel advances.
- Maintaining staff and workshop advances accounts, ensuring accurate staff balances by monthly reconciliations.
- Follow up on timely expenses report submission by travellers (staff travel and workshop advances)
5. VAT Processing
- Ensuring VAT exemptions through form DA1 are submitted with adequate support documentation.
- Maintaining the VAT exemption register for all invoices (goods & services) submitted for exemption and approvals submitted to vendors.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting / Commerce or Business-related discipline.
- Must be a CPA (K) / ACCA holder.
- Must have 3-4years relevant experience in an NGO environment.
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Office Suite (excel skills a MUST).
- Working experience with ERP’s preferably Microsoft Dynamics Navision.
- Extensive experience in dealing with donor funded projects (DFID, SIDA, AfDB).
Key Skills and Competencies
- Strong interpersonal skills and a good team player.
- High level of integrity, commitment and professional responsibility.
- Excellent communication, organization and presentation skills.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently with guidelines and clear expectations.
- Ability to engage and interact with different people from different cultures and backgrounds.
AERC offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
Interested applicants are invited to send in their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 2nd August 2019.
Due to the expected volume of applications, AERC will only enter into further correspondence with short-listed candidates.