Vacant Position: Hygiene Manager
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Industry: Hospitality Industry
Our Client, a Leading coffee chain with its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya is urgently looking to recruit an experienced Hygiene Manager.
This role is both a strategic and tactical and is responsible for ensuring the cleanliness of the equipment, processes and environment of the commissary.
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the department which covers the entire manufacturing and warehousing areas of the business, over a 24/7 timeframe, involving a group of up to 40 highly trained staff.
He/she will also be highly involved with the technical manager, chemical suppliers and equipment suppliers to optimize hygiene practices, cleaning schedule and other matters by performing the following duties;
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Strategy / Planning
- Responsible for ensuring that optimized cleaning schedules are created in line with consultation with chemical suppliers, equipment manufacturers and the technical manager
- Ensures that staff are formally trained and signed off in regards departmental SOP’s to ensure proper and safe use of equipment or engagement in processes where quality, food safety or occupational health and safety is impacted
- Responsible for the creation of the daily, weekly and monthly cleaning schedules that when combined and adhered to, guarantees microbiologically sound equipment and environment considered safe for the manufacturing of high risk foods such as salads, sandwiches and ice cream.
- Motivates hygiene supervisors, delegates responsibilities and keeps them informed by holding a daily departmental briefing where factors such as department performance and key focus areas are discussed
- Responsible for the training of all staff across the commissary on the safe handling of chemicals.
- Uses a team based approach to investigate root cause, identify solutions and implement changes when monitoring systems indicate poor hygiene performance
- Responsible for the management of department related contracts, including specialized cleaning, chemical supply and provision of tools and swabbing equipment required to perform the departmental duties.
- Responsible for ensuring that all required documentation is in place and presented whenever there is a compliance audit by customers or auditing bodies
Reporting and Evaluation
- Actively engages and participates in the leadership meetings, and shares relevant updates with the team to ensure that appropriate and timely decisions are made to optimize hygiene performance
- Implements adequate screening and monitoring systems that enable provision of performance data that help ensure optimum hygiene practices are deployed generating desired results whilst considering the costs of cleaning compared to budget
- Assumes responsibility for the investigating incidents and accidents on shift relating to his/her team, and personally ensures that any injured party is treated by managing the safety team accordingly
- Regularly and systematically reviews performance of the hygiene practices, being environmental and equipment sanitation
- Responsible for the proposals of the departmental budgets, and for ensuring that all department expenses are within such levels that include chemical costs, tools and staffing
- Plays an advisory and holds sign off responsibility when the commissary is selecting new equipment or processes
- Contributes to the annual budgeting effort by proposing CAPEX and OPEX relating to the hygiene practices of the commissary
Key Competencies & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Microbiology, Food Safety or any other related field from a recognized institution
- Must have at least 5 years of experience working in an FMCG environment
- 2 years of experience leading a hygiene team of not less than 10 staff
- Previous experience of departmental budgeting
- Experience in the cleaning of highly sensitive equipment preferred
- Able to achieve results by setting high standards and committing to clear objectives
- Strong leadership skills
- Valid Driving License
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ambassador for food safety
- Proficient in Word, Excel, and especially PowerPoint
If you’re up to the challenge, kindly send CV and cover letter only to firstname.lastname@example.org before close of business 10th August 2019.
Clearly indicate the position applied for and expected salary on the subject line.