Job Vacancy: Commissioning Engineer
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements. Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets.
We franchise the toilets to community residents, who run them as commercial toilets; landlords, who offer them as a value-added service to their tenants; and schools, to ensure children always have access to a safe sanitation option.
We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training and aspirational marketing and branding. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community for treatment.
We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein, which we sell to Kenyan farms. We launched our first toilet in November 2011, and we now have a network of over 2,700 active Fresh Life Toilets serving over 100,000 urban residents every single day.
We collect and convert over 6,000 tons of waste every year. At the same time, we have built a team of 250 dedicated team with diverse backgrounds. Our work has been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Best Companies in Africa.
We are an increasingly sophisticated, highly intricate organization with many moving parts. Sanergy seeks accomplished, driven individuals who will make substantive contributions to the organization.
We are currently seeking a Commissioning Engineer who will work on the construction of East Africa’s largest organics recycling facility.
A typical day for you might include the following
- Lead and manage the commissioning of various industrial equipment
- Provide hands-on field expert level support of construction and functional testing phases
- Develop pre-commissioning and commissioning procedures
- Attend meetings with vendors, contractors, construction teams
- Prepare schedules for pre-commissioning and commissioning tasks
- Support the organization and preparation of the project through assembling needed project information, tools and work documents to industry standards in a timely manner
- Troubleshoot system operational issues that impact system operation, safety, and reliability
- Oversee and perform Field Observations to meet the design specifications
- Perform design reviews at various stages of design development, Review HVAC, controls and/or electrical plans and specifications
- Complete commissioning test forms and equipment checklists
- Independently or with senior engineer, perform field inspections, equipment startups, test and balance activities, and functional performance tests
- Prepare commissioning test forms, equipment checklists and commissioning reports and maintain commissioning issues lists
- Responsible for the technical quality and accuracy of work provided
- Responsible for personal time management on assigned projects
- Planning for project activities and keeping accurate records of project activities
- Communication with other staff including Engineers and Administration Staff.
Skills and qualifications you’ll need
- Bachelor Degree in Chemical/Mechanical Engineering or relevant field
- 2-5 years of experience in commissioning various mechanical and electrical systems
- Demonstrated working knowledge or interest in the operation of HVAC, Boilers, Chillers, water treatment, waste treatment and Control Systems is preferred.
- Experience in the design of various industrial systems and waste treatment facilities
- Effective interpersonal skills to properly represent Sanergy in an ethical and professional manner.
- Ability to explain technical information to technical and non-technical people.
- Leadership skills to support the activities of other team members and workers
- Qualities you’ll need to fit in well among the Sanergy-Stars
- A collaborative spirit that compels you to work beyond your team
- A desire to understand and serve customers
- A willingness to embrace diversity, integrity and empathy
- An innovative approach to assessing and testing new ideas
- An enthusiasm to achieve set targets and improve yourself professionally
The perks you’ll have
- A holistic benefits package
- Unparalleled opportunities for personal and professional growth
A unique chance to tackle critical challenges of sanitation, economic empowerment and food security
Interested applicants are invited to email their applications together with samples of previous projects undertaken as one document and a detailed CV with contact details of three referees HERE by 31st July, 2019.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Kindly note this position is based in Kinanie, Mavoko constituency and should you be successful you will be required to live close to the area.
However, you may be called upon to work in our Nairobi Office from time to time