MSF Switzerland (MSFCH) is a humanitarian medical organization providing emergency medical aid to populations in need based in Dagahaley and Likoni, Mombasa Sub County.
Job Title: Counselor Educator
Work Location: Dagahaley
Start date: July 2019
Length of contract: 12 months fixed term contract (based on a 03 month probationary period)
The selected candidate will be reporting to Mental Health Supervisor.
Perform counseling and/or education sessions to patients, following different medical and mental health MSF protocols and procedures, in order to improve their pychosocial condition.
- Identify the psychosocial, socio-economic and administrative needs for patients
- Actively promote the availability of counselling services and carry out, individual or in group counselling, basic psycho educational sessions, to patients, their families (when needed), in order to alleviate their psychosocial difficulties within the project scope.
- Refer patients to other specialists or other institutions for further assistance, when necessary in order to propose the best support available.
- Participate in the creation of any material needed for counseling activities and look after it,
- Keep files and statistics of daily activities and participate in team meetings to share experiences and discuss special cases with other counselors, preserving confidentiality
- Inform line manager of any problem of any kind arising during the day-to-day activities.
- Take active part in trainings, supervisions/intervisions and support the activities manager when necessary in doing sensitization for MSF staff or external partners about mental health /psychosocial issues.
- Discuss difficulties and problems in counselling with supervisor.
- Provide holistic management for all mental health patients being attended in the department
- Participate in peer case reviews with the team in the department on long short term and long term management of patients
- Provide counselling to special patient groups using art and play therapy and designing a home visit plan for the patients for closer follow up
- Represent MSF in Psychosocial case conferences with partner agencies
- Health Education to patients and his/her relatives on drug adherence, side effects and regular clinic appointments
- Ensure patient records are kept well, making sure, that all admissions, re-admissions, discharges, transfers and deaths are recorded properly in the registration and patient file as they occur.
- Participate in the support of community mental health program with possible home visits.
- Work in close collaboration with the rest of the project, especially ER, maternity, palliative care chronic patients, and HP.
- Contribute to the mental health promotion and sensitization among the team & community.
- Contribute to the PoA of the MH program and the monitoring of the activities.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Education : Counseling, psychology or other similar degree/diploma.
Experience : 2 years experience essential. Experience with NGO desirable.
Languages : Mission language essential. Local language desirable.
Competences: Result, teamwork, flexibility, commitment, stress management
If you meet the above requirements, please send your CV, motivation letter on or before the 9th July 2019 to http://uhired.me/job/328
We apologize that due to the volume of application we receive; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
MSF is an equal Employer and does not charge any application/recruitment or training fee