Deputy Chief Executive Officer
Salary Range: (Kshs 500,000 – 550,000.00 plus benefits)
Our Client is a supplier of housing micro-finance solutions, utilizing various collection mechanisms but primarily that of a salary deduction model. A key element of the business strategy is to aggressively grow its scale of operation over the next four to five years.
The culture of the group is one of young professional pioneers, who aggressively seek out entrepreneurial opportunities and look to deliver profitable performances with no excuses for non-delivery of agreed upon targets.
Main Purpose of the Role
Reporting to the CEO, Kenya, the Deputy CEO will be expected to play a lead role in the day to day running of the business in Kenya including providing direction and leadership toward the achievement of the organization’s strategic business plan objectives and annual goals.
Key Deliverables of the Deputy CEO
1. Product and systems knowledge:
Ensure full understanding of the operating systems and applications and become the custodian of Kenya’s product and systems knowledge.
2. Deal inflows and processing:
- Ensure that all relevant staff are appropriately trained on the deal origination processes.
- Ensure that all client applications and deals received per branch and per agent are appropriately logged and that volumes and speed of processing is regularly monitored and managed.
- Ensure that deal turnaround time from receipt to disbursement is appropriately monitored and managed.
- Maintain overall responsibility for effective management of the entire credit control function.
- Daily monitoring and management of credit control activities and results.
- Daily, weekly and monthly reporting on collections results.
- Maintain overall responsibility for the entire back office team and their respective functions.
- Operationally monitor internal and external customer service levels, in consultation with any identified internal and external stakeholders.
- Recommend strategies for improving operations of the department.
- Conduct staff training from time to time and provide ongoing support.
- Management of the performance of all members of your team, including drafting, monitoring and evaluating key performance indicators for each role within the team.
- Aligned with this, you will also be responsible for regular assessment of individual performance, including formal performance appraisals and management of poor performance.
IT and physical environment:
- Maintain responsibility for all IT functions and the physical environment within the business, in consultation with Group IT.
- Identify and attend to any queries on the system timeously.
Provide support to CEO:
- Provide operational support to the CEO, as may be required from time to time, in addition to the aforementioned functions and responsibilities.
- Fulfil the role of CEO role in cases where the CEO is unavailable, on leave or incapacitated. The extent of this role is outlined below.
Key Deliverables of the CEO/Acting CEO
- Growth and development of the business within Kenya:
- Financial, Tax and Risk oversight:
- Human Capital: Effectively manage Human Capital in accordance with a high performance culture and within authorised policies and procedures.
- Community and Public Relations: Ensure that the image of the organisation is consistently presented in a strong and positive light to relevant stakeholders.
- Organisational culture, values and reputation: Maintain and develop our corporate culture, values and reputation in the market and with our staff, customers, suppliers, partners and regulatory bodies.
- Infrastructure: Enhance processes and infrastructure to allow the organisation to grow and achieve its goal.
- Office Management: Oversee day-to-day administrative functions to ensure smooth daily operations.
- Report to the Shareholders/Board and the Executive Management Team on organisational plans and performance.
Qualification and Experience
- A post graduate qualification will be advantageous.
- Must possess five to ten years work experience
- Extensive experience in the financial services sector is essential.
- Must have Collections experience.
- Experience in the Microfinance industry will be advantageous.
- Previous exposure to Africa will be highly advantageous.
- Solid management, accounting and legal skills are essential.
- Knowledge of Malawi and general Microfinance laws relating to financial services, particularly with regard to Microlending is essential.
- A strong command of English, both written and verbal is a requirement of the job.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate the following:
- Determination to win and be the best.
- Extraordinary and proven people management and leadership skills, preferably with people from different cultures and countries.
- Above average EQ and substantial experience in the leadership of teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- The ability to influence and persuade others.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to assess complex situations and use creativity to solve problems.
- Established negotiation skills.
- Strong presentation skills.
- A self-starter who is proactive, shows initiative, displays high levels of self-motivation and assumes responsibility for projects.
- Strategic thinking.
- The ability to build strong relationships with team members, company management and clients.
- A strong work ethic.
- Be alert to changing situations, show flexibility in approach, adaptability in difficult circumstances and continuously strive to achieve meaningful results.
The position is based at our Kenya Head Office situated in Nairobi. In this particular role, travel will be required to branches and satellite branches within Kenya, as well as travel to other countries from time to time.
How to apply
If you are interested in the position and have the skills and talents our client is looking for, we would like to hear from you. Please include:
A copy of your updated resume.
Attach a statement of suitability highlighting your experience in Collections (which is essential), Credit, Risk and Operations.
Your current salary and benefits package to email@example.com before close of business Friday 19th July 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.