Mary’s Meals Kenya (MMK) operates a Primary School Feeding and Early Childhood Development programme in Kenya.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for the following post:
Programme Manager – Turkana County
Mary’s Meals Kenya is delighted to be recruiting for a talented Programme Manager to join our team in Lodwar, Turkana county.
The role will support the Country Lead in the establishment and implementation of the Mary’s Meals school feeding programme in Kenya, providing management oversight and strategic direction on behalf of and in dialogue with the Kenya senior management team.
The PM will also contribute to strengthening and developing the school feeding programme across all operational areas.
The role will also support the Mary’s Meals Kenya team to achieve high standards in all aspects of programme delivery and in adhering to Mary’s Meals’ values at all times.
We are currently feeding 44,139 children in Kenya and our work is based in both Eldoret and Lodwar, where we attract many children living in urban slums into the classroom, and Turkana, where we provide life-saving meals to the children of livestock farmers.
Mary’s Meals is a global movement supported by people from all walks of life and we are focused on one goal – that every child receives a nutritious daily meal in a place of education.
Reporting to the Country Lead, Kenya, you will have responsibility for the overall management of our programmes department, and you will be a member of the Country Programme Leadership Team.
You will be comfortable working across multiple projects and managing a varied team to ensure all major milestones are achieved and reporting schedules are met.
You will be confident in influencing at all levels and will bring strong leadership skills to inspire your team and strive for continuous improvement in all areas.
Other key areas of responsibility include:
Coordination of Programme Delivery
- To support the Country Lead in the establishment and smooth running of the Mary’s Meals Kenya school feeding programme
- To coordinate and deliver agreed country and regional plans and strategies, including expansion planning
- To ensure timely implementation of all programme activities through the development of agreed work plans and effective resource management
- Provide leadership to direct line reportees and other members of the team working from the Lodwar office via a matrix management structure.
Collaboration and Support
- To support the Country Lead in the preparation of country plans and the monitoring and reporting of progress against organisational goals and objectives and to prepare the annual budget and forecasts.
- To support the Country Lead and Finance and Operations Manager in the continued review and development on programmes policy and guidance on the Mary’s Meals Model.
- Supporting and developing community capacity building, sensitisation and engagement
- To work alongside other NGOs, government and international partners to share best practice and further the interests and reach of Mary’s Meals, engaging with national and county government and other major stakeholders in school feeding
- Supporting visits by Mary’s Meals staff and supporters
- To participate in the personal development review process and to identify learning and development needs.
Reporting and MEL
- To develop, assess and implement programme delivery models, policies and procedures, including regular programme reviews
- Assisting in and enabling the roll out, development and implementation of the M&E strategy
- To provide regular management reports and play an active role in the country management team
- Contributing to the design and development of institutional funding applications and preparing reports as required
- Work closely and provide support to the Diocese of Lodwar in delivery of the partner programme that runs in parallel to Mary’s Meals Kenya programme
- To coordinate the process of absorbing the current Diocese of Lodwar programme into the Mary’s Meals Kenya operation in Turkana.
- To develop and maintain excellent relations with Mary’s Meals field offices, partners, internal colleagues and supporters.
Health and Safety
- Support the Country Lead in ensuring safety and security for the Turkana programme
- Any other ad hoc duties as required
With a restless approach to continuous improvement, you will thrive in a fast-paced, varied environment where no two days are the same. Experience of working with, or for, a charity would be beneficial but is not essential – however, alignment with Mary’s Meals values and the desire to serve the children of Kenya is essential.
Mary’s Meals is a values driven organisation, we believe in the innate goodness of people, respect the dignity of every human being and family life and believe in good stewardship of the resources entrusted to us. In line with our values Mary’s Meals is fully committed to a culture of safeguarding children.
- Degree in a relevant subject (e.g. social sciences, business administration, logistics) or demonstrable significant experience in a similar role
- Understanding of the place of school feeding in relief and development
- Effective programme management skills, including programme design and planning, budget preparation, reporting and review and sharing of best practice
- Ability to develop and structure a team and show decisive leadership
- Good numeracy, with experience of data recording, collation and analysis for decision making
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to focus on and prioritise key tasks and effectively drive forward and implement agreed actions
- Very good computer literacy with high proficiency in Excel
- Experience in managing the safety and security of teams
- Well-developed, interpersonal skills, with the ability to network widely, persuade and influence others
- Highly resilient, self-reliant and motivated, with the ability to organise own work and prioritise tasks
- Cultural sensitivity and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of people in different countries and settings
- Has a warm, engaging and inspiring personality, with good networking and interpersonal skills
- Team management experience, including engaging and motivating a team of staff
- Experience of monitoring and reporting against agreed strategy
- Experience of a flexible approach to managing and prioritising a high workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Experience of managing programme implementation for a NGO, preferably in Africa is desirable
- Experience of liaising with Government, NGOs and community groups is desirable
- Experience of implementing and reporting against projects funded by institutional donors is desirable
- Experience of working in remote or isolated environments is desirable
Applications stating expected net salary and CV (including contacts for three professional referees) should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the position title and applicant’s name in the subject line.
All attached files should be saved under the applicant’s name.
Deadline for receipt of applications is Friday, 2nd August 2019 at 16:30 hours.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.