Job Title: Global Human Resources Officer
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
The People and Strategy Team ensures that Mercy Corps has the people, strategies and learning that will enable it to be a world-class, cutting edge, humanitarian organization, creating transformational change in the world.
We do this through: the recruitment, retention and development of the best global talent. Our aim is to drive strategic thinking and planning at all levels of the organization; create a robust body of research to guide us internally and externally and steward the organizational culture.
To achieve this, we align conversations on learning; keep the organization focused on what has the greatest impact; leverage our comparative advantages in the crowded and competitive international relief and development landscape; and assure we are constantly learning from our work and the external environment.
General Position Summary
The Global HR Officer is responsible for completing a range of HR duties working under the guidance of the Senior Human Resource Officer.
This position will also provide support to the Global Human Resources Team and external support to the Mercy Corps Global team, balancing the day-to-day needs of team members in a timely and accurate manner with a spirit of teamwork and service.
This position collaborates with partners from the People Team to ensure the “people needs” of Mercy Corps team members align with and are accounted for within the organization’s strategic initiatives.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Global Human Resources
- Responsible for all team member life-cycle activities for expat or HQ team members in assigned region including – employment offer letters, orienting new team members and transfer team member, consultant agreements, team member new hire paperwork and notices, unemployment, background checks, letters of authority, assignment and employment verification, shipping, 403(b)/TCN eligibility, and unemployment claims.
- Communicates effectively. Understand how to approach conversations differently, given audience and situation dynamics, in order to achieve desired results.
- Collaborates with field-based HR practitioners. Supports a community of information sharing and inter-regional problem solving.
- Working under the guidance of the Senior Human Resource Officer, coordinates with Finance and the Program department on the correct application of Mercy Corps’ shipping policies; making recommendations regarding continued improvement of these policies and practices.
- Track and obtain confirmed start dates for all hires, performance review dates and generate reminders; coordinate timely and accurate completion of Personnel Action Forms (PAFs) for all changes and end of service activity.
- Co-manage the HR Services, Shipping and Consultant inboxes, forwarding or addressing incoming correspondence to the appropriate team member for follow-up.
- Process and prepare all consultant requests and addendums that includes ensuring the necessary approvals and supporting documents have been received and double checking that the scope of work meets guidelines and is in line with Request form.
- Distribute HR notices for all new-hires, transfers and ends of service. Continually assess processes and materials used, to ensure clear, consistent and transparent messages and processes.
- Reconcile and process assigned HR related invoices.
- Responsible for providing technical support to national offices upon request and, if needed, during emergency operations; including development or review of National Team Handbook submissions, national Salary Scales, national Benefit Summaries, etc. and also coordinate the support with other People Team Department
- Conduct multiple HR Assessments in partnership with Senior HR Officer, per fiscal year; includes conducting remote audit of in-country HR files, documents, policies, practices, etc. Responsible for coordinating the HR Assessment Report and following up with national teams during resolution process for any/all findings.
- Assist with all internal and external audit requests relating to HR files and benefits for assigned regions of responsibility.
- Data validation, entering, and approval through the Human Capital Management System (HCM) & Consultant Database.
- Other duties as assigned.
Strategy & Vision
- Advocates for proactive people centric policies and initiatives that align with Mercy Corps’ strategic priorities and promote positive organizational culture.
- Keep up to date on trends in global human resource management, particularly in the international humanitarian aid sector.
- Understands how effective human resource management informs and complements core business objectives.
- Consistently demonstrate flexibility, resilience, ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances.
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her personal strengths and development needs.
- Collaborate closely with members of the Global Human Resources and People and Strategy teams, regional and country- level leadership, field-based HR practitioners and peers in other HQ departments.
- Respond to and address questions, issues and inquiries within the current Global Human Resources standard of 3 days from receipt.
- Understand the operational impact of this role within the broader context of the organization, with a particular appreciation on the interdependency of effective HR practices and interdepartmental collaboration.
- Collaborates with the larger People & Strategy team to project manage fiscal year priorities and complete projects in line with deadlines.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly To: Sr. Global Human Resources Officer
Works Directly With: Global Human Resources Department
Knowledge and Experience
- A demonstrated top performer with energy, intelligence, strong analytical skills and highly evolved interpersonal skills.
- Possesses superb written and spoken communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, knowledge of Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS), Excel and demonstrated skills in database management and record keeping
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in Human Resources or personnel management or bachelor’s degree in human resources, business, administrative services or a related field, or extensive prior experience in human resources; or as an assistant, administrator, or in a clerical position
- General knowledge of employment laws and best practices.
- General knowledge of East, central and South African context is needed.
- Multi-lingual is a ‘plus’ (English and required, any other language such French, Swahili and or Arabic is an advantage that we will take in consideration)
- Able to maintain operational consistency with other team members and actively keep management informed.
- Demonstrated history of providing excellent customer service and a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to follow procedures, complete tasks with high quality outputs, meets deadlines and works well under pressure and cooperatively with team members.
- A historically demonstrated ability to maintain confidential information.
- Must have strong analytical, mathematical and problem solving skills, effective organizational and interpersonal skills; strong written and verbal communication.
- Understanding of HR processes and data, common analytical techniques and methodologies to share information and trends with non-HR professionals.
- Should be a member of a relevant HR professional body
The successful team member will be an avid learner, self-directed, innovative and action orientated. Furthermore, they must have the ability to work independently, employ effective time management skills, handle frequent interruptions and shift priorities, exhibit effective customer service skills and work effectively with a wide variety of individuals including team members based overseas.
S/he will have the ability to work onsite and collaborate with team members, deliver compelling designs within the guidelines of specific project objective and interact professionally and productively with HQ and other global staff.
Additionally, the individual will thrive in a fast-paced environment prone to rapid change and be willing to increase his/her responsibility level in the assigned areas. The most successful Mercy Corps team members have a positive approach, a strong commitment to teamwork and personal accountability and the ability to be flexible and ensure that effective communication is a priority in all situations.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
This position is based outside of the United States, although some out-of-area and possible out-of-country travel may be expected. Approximately 20% travel in support of Mercy Corps programs.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online