The National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) is a State Corporation established under the National Hospital Insurance Fund Act, number 9 of 1998.
The Fund’s core mandate is to receive contributions and other payments as required by the Act, to make payments out of the Fund to declared and contracted healthcare providers, and to protect the interest of the contributors to the Fund.
The Fund is currently undergoing reforms in readiness to play its role in the delivery of one of the Government’s Big 4 agenda of providing Universal Health Coverage (UHC) to its people.
The Board of NHIF is advertising the following exciting opportunity:
Director, Internal Audit
Job Ref: NHIF 02/2019
The Fund is seeking to recruit a self-driven individual of high integrity, highly dynamic, proactive and result-oriented individual to fill the position of Director Internal Audit.
The Director Internal Audit shall be the Secretary to the Audit Committee of the Board and shall be responsible for leading and managing the entire Internal Audit function of the Fund.
The Internal audit function is responsible for the review of internal controls and processes, appraisal of operational efficiency, giving assurance on the Fund’s internal control environment and playing a key role in promoting good corporate governance.
Reporting functionally to the Audit Committee of the Board and administratively to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director Internal Audit shall;
- Develop and execute a risk-based Internal Audit Plan:
- Assess the operational effectiveness of the design and functioning of controls and processes across the Fund’s processes;
- Advise the Fund on best practice regarding the internal controls, systems and governance processes;
- Develop and implement system and risk—based methods of Auditing, including use of Internal Audit tools to interrogate and audit IT systems:
- Formulate actionable and value-added recommendations and monitor progress of implementation of action plans;
- Evaluate the economy and efficiency with which the Fund’s resources are employed;
- Lead in special projects including audit investigations and process re-engineering teams in response to emerging business risks;
- Assist external Auditors when called upon to enable them to accomplish their mandate —KENAO or other auditors, covering Financial and System Audits in the Fund;
- Review the risk management process and its implementation across functions to embed a proactive approach in identification of risks across the Authority.
- Advise Audit Committee on new developments that affect internal controls and provide valuable recommendations and solutions ma proactive manner;
- Monitor implementation of all policies and procedures to ensure that all decisions made adhere to regulations and set standards.
- Liaise and work closely with law enforcement agencies mandated to conduct investigations into incidents of fraud and other irregularities.
Qualifications and Key Competencies
- Be a Kenyan citizen
- Holder of Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees Finance / Accounting! Economics! Business Administration or closely related area from a university recognised in Kenya;
- A minimum of twelve (12) years working experience in a busy commercial, public sector or professional environment, at least 5 of which must be in a senior leadership position in Internal Audit function;
- Membership with Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA), Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK) and Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA);
- Demonstrated understanding of Fund or commercial processes that invite for internal audit skills;
- Be an independent minded individual of high integrity with an inquisitive mind.
- Proven track record with internal I external audit environment evidencing strong performance in conducting high quality audit work, findings and reports.
- Ability to inquire and understand issues quickly, constructively and challenge the status quo
- Ability to maintain independence and confidentiality;
- Effective interaction with all levels of management;
- Knowledge of ICT systems in Internal Audit;
- Interpersonal skills
Appointment to the Director position will be on contract for a term of three (3) years renewable subject to satisfactory performance.
Qualified and experienced professionals who fulfil the requirements and would like to take up the challenge are invited to apply not later than 18th July 2019.
Application for the positions must be accompanied by the following documents: —
- A detailed CV
- Certified copies of academic certificates and National Identity card
- Certificates of admission to professional bodies
- Tax compliance Certificate from the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
- Certificate of clearance from the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Certificate of Good Conduct from Directorate of Criminal Investigation (DCI)
- Clearance by the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
- Clearance with the Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
Please note that the self-declaration form from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) should indicate the organization for which declaration is being submitted.
Only successful candidates shall be contacted and invited for the interview.
Interested and qualified persons are requested to either submit their applications by email to apply to firstname.lastname@example.org
OR Hard copies delivered to NHIF Building 10th floor,
to reach on or before Thursday 18 July 2019 to:
Board of Management
National Hospital Insurance Fund
NHIF Building 10th Floor, Ragati Rd
P O. Box 30443-00100
Please note that any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
*NHIF is an equal opportunity employer.