Career Opportunity: Finance Manager
The Organisation: Our client, Olsuswa Energy Limited is a Kenyan based company focused on renewable energy projects across Africa. In the Republic of Kenya Olsuswa Energy has been granted a geothermal resource licence as per the Geothermal Act (1982) for the northern most-known geothermal prospect- Barrier Volcanic Complex in Turkana County.
Olsuswa Energy as a green power company, looks to unlock the vast geothermal potential that Kenya has and its active participation in the sustainable energy industry is in part shaped by its vision for a sustainable and environmentally friendly future for all.
In addition, community participation is not only critical but part of Olsuswa Energy’s engrained ethos.
Kenya offers tremendous opportunities for Independent Power Producers (IPPs) of which Olsuswa Energy is honoured to be part of.
Our client is seeking to fill the position of Finance Manager and welcomes applications from interested professionals.
The Position: Reporting to the Managing Director, the Finance Manager undertakes all aspects of financial management, including corporate accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, budget and forecasts preparation, as well as development of internal control policies and procedures.
Work in this role is self-prioritised in a structured environment with little direct supervision.
Open communication channels exist within the team and work is discussed periodically on an as-needs basis.
The Incumbent will be required to determine when and how to escalate unresolved or complex issues.
- Manage all accounting operations including Billing, A/R, A/P, Cost Accounting, Inventory Accounting and Revenue Recognition.
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Provide excellent leadership and management of Corporate Finance, measured by the effectiveness, engagement and business unit respect of the team.
- Build productive working relationships with stakeholders in order to understand their business operations and the financial information needs of end users.
- Manage relationships with others across the company to achieve alignment in key business strategies and decisions.
- Manage the Company’s cash flows within available facilities, providing appropriate reporting to Executive Management.
- Manage the Company’s financial reporting obligations, with responsibility for preparation and lodgement of compliant monthly, half year and full year consolidated accounts.
- Manage the Company’s statutory taxation obligations with responsibility for preparation and lodgement.
- Collaborate, design, implement and review finance systems, policies and procedures to ensure continuous improvement and contemporary relevant practices.
- Oversee finance systems managing transaction flows from source through interfaces to general ledger.
- Ensure finance ledgers are maintained on a timely basis, are accurate and complete, and structured for the dual purpose of providing relevant information to internal users and meeting statutory obligations.
- Ensure reporting functions and responses to ad hoc requests for financial related information are appropriately delivered.
- Coordination and preparation of annual budgets for the Company, financial forecasts and report variances
- Undertake a range of other activities within the Corporate Finance function, in conjunction with other Finance staff, such as maintenance of consolidated key finance activities (e.g. asset financing); governance/internal control activities; business administration or insurance management.
Key Competencies / Skill Requirements
- Demonstrated capability in leading & managing an operational team and a practical understanding of management practices.
- Ability and willingness to take a practical approach and undertake work at an operational level.
- Prior specialisation in taxation, financial reporting &/or audit would be an added advantage.
- Prior experience in leading business process improvement and project management.
- Maintain tight control over inventory, procurement, project expenses and ensure that projects deliver and perform within budgets, and other relevant functions that cover the business operating cycles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with proficiency in preparing reports and presentations.
- Proven ability to understand key financial and business variables in a complex and changing commercial environment.
- Proven ability to meet statutory obligations.
- Delivering results – sets own and team goals and consistently overcomes obstacles.
- Adapting to change and leading change – highlights potential improvements in current systems, processes and procedures and encourages others to accept change and gives reasons for change.
- Analytical thinking and trends analysis – can see trends in data and can compile data to arrive at an accurate solution. Gathers and sorts relevant data for analysis.
- Coaching people – acts as a leader, as a mentor, supports others in professional development. Allocates time and effort to discuss development requirements and provides feedback regarding performance and capability.
The Candidate Profile
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance.
- CPA-K qualification and a member of ICPAK
- A minimum of five (5) years leadership experience in a similar level role within a commercial and/or public practice environment.
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills, with high proficiency in Microsoft applications, particularly Excel.
- Familiar with project management dynamics.
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit a Curriculum Vitae (CV) with details of relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 2nd August 2019.
Applicants MUST include the title of the position (FINANCE MANAGER) in the subject line of the email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.