Terms of Reference Poultry Value Chain and Market Mapping Study
Hatching Hope Project Kenya (HHK)
This term of reference contains background information related to the project including objectives, the desired methodology, the timeframe for conducting the poultry value chain and mapping study, and a list of deliverables.
This document also contains information about the expertise that Heifer is seeking for this activity and provides guidance on how to submit a proposal for review, study management, and intellectual property.
Background of Heifer International
Heifer International is a global non-profit working to end hunger and poverty and care for the Earth by using sustainable practices and engaging smallholder farmers in agricultural development.
Heifer was founded on the simple belief that ending hunger begins with giving people the means to feed themselves, generate income and achieve sustainable livelihoods.
Since 1944, Heifer has helped 20.7 million households – more than 105 million people – in over 125 countries, through community-based training, appropriate technologies and agricultural resources, enabling communities to lift themselves out of poverty and hunger on to a path of self-reliance and economic prosperity.
In Kenya (2017/18) alone, up to 80,000 beneficiaries were reached with market driven community development interventions for specific commodity value chains. Additionally, 35 farmers’ business organization capacities were strengthened while linkages and partnership were developed with 17 financial institutions.
More Info on Heifer: www.heifer.org
Heifer Kenya’s Program History
Heifer International – Kenya (HPI-K), a branch of HPI, started its operation in Kenya in the year 1981.
It was registered as an NGO in 1993. Its mission is to work with and empower communities to end hunger and poverty while caring for the earth.
Hatching Hope Kenya (HHK) has the potential to reach 21 million people as a contribution to the total 100 million people targeted in the 12-year HHGI.
In the initial three years, HHK will improve livelihoods of 180,000 people through enhanced poultry production and create demand by increasing awareness and education of nearly 10 million people about the benefits of poultry production and consumption.
HHK interventions will close 53 percent of the living income gap per family by creating functional and profitable poultry businesses.
To sustain its impact, HHK will also facilitate the creation of new products, services, and markets that smallholder farmers require to grow their poultry enterprises.
Through the project, Heifer and Cargill will capitalize on the growing demand for poultry in Kenya to empower smallholder farmers, helping them become integrated and competitive actors in the poultry value chain. At the same time, HHK will catalyze systemic change through partnerships with producer groups, distributers and other actors that serve the needs of smallholder farmers. This approach will facilitate sustainable alleviation of malnutrition through poultry promotion and human consumption.
CLICK HERE for a detailed terms of reference
Consultancy firms Submission Requirements:
All interested firms will submit their or organization’s profile with the following information:
Technical Proposal (not to exceed 10 pages)
a. General information (not to exceed 2 pages):
- Organization overview highlighting related assignments completed with client name, contact
- person and mobile number
- Capacity statement
b. Technical Approach (not to exceed 8 pages):
- A detailed methodology on how the assignment will be conducted, including qualitative and quantitative data collection approaches, sampling strategy, data collection methods and systems / technology to use, field procedures, quality control practices and data analysis.
- List and briefly describe the team and its proposed personnel, indicating what role each proposed individual will have; CVs of team members to be provided in an attachment. Lead Consultant’s (who will lead the assignment) Maximum 3-page CV highlighting related assignment completed, role in the completed assignment Other Team members’ (who will involve in the assignment) 2 paragraph short CV highlighting related assignment completed and role
- A clear and comprehensive work plan (draft), outlining the major activities, people responsible and time schedule.
- Organizational capacity statement, including past experiences and activities related to the theme of the study. Reference information must include the location, award numbers, and brief description of work performed.
- At least three references of other clients for which similar evaluation assignments were undertaken with contact information for each.
c. Financial Proposal
- Itemized budget
- Narrative explanations of line items
- Organization’s / Firm’s Certificate, PIN and VAT registration
- Documents in favour of the previous relevant studies.
- A copy of a previous assignment undertaken within the last 3 years.
Interested local or international firms legally eligible to implement this assignment in Kenya are requested to submit a proposal
Please include the name of the person in your organization who will be involved in negotiating the contract as well as your telephone and email contact information.
The proposal (duly signed) from only firms should comprise technical and financial proposal.
The Proposal will be accepted preferably in hard copy and also backed by a soft copy through email and mentioning subject line; “HATCHING HOPE PROJECT KENYA (HHK) – POULTRY VALUE CHAIN AND MARKET MAPPING STUDY to email@example.com on or before 25th July 2019
Late Submissions and Modifications:
Proposals received after the submission deadline will not be considered. Offerors are responsible to ensure their proposals are submitted according to the instructions stated herein.
Heifer retains the right to terminate this RFP or modify the requirements upon notification to the Offerors.