Consultancy to undertake a Baseline Assessment in Turkana County
Practical Action is an international development organisation putting ingenious ideas to work so people in poverty can change their world.
We have commenced a 2-year project in East Africa, implemented in Turkana County.
The primary objective of the project is to contribute to the achievement of Sustainable Development Goal Target 6.1: to achieve universal and equitable access to safe and affordable drinking water for all.
The project will do this by improving access to clean drinking water from an improved source for 48,000 individuals, including pastoralists, in rural arid and semi-arid in Turkana County, north west Kenya.
The project seeks the services of a consultant or consultancy firm to carry out a comprehensive baseline survey in the project areas to generate first-hand information to be used for project planning and for monitoring and evaluation (M&E).
The baseline will serve as a benchmark to measure progress, as well as provide information to a wider stakeholder group on understanding water access situation as well as policies and regulations that support water management in Turkana County.
The purpose of the baseline survey is to collect baseline data for key project indicators which will be monitored during project implementation to assess progress as well as the project impact.
Baseline indicators to be assessed include:
- Number of people in the target areas accessing water – access to water will be defined and presented according to the JMP ladder of access
- Water storage/treatment practices
- Handwashing practices
- Prevalence of water and hygiene related diseases in the project area
- Ability of households to pay for management of the water facilities
- Operation and maintenance of water supply facilities and relevant cost for the services
- Policy and regulation framework that support water management in Turkana County
Gender and girls’ empowerment
- Responsibility of family members for family/household water supply
- Average school attendance for schools in the project area (disaggregated for boys and girls)
Livelihoods and economic stability
- Sources of livelihood for the communities in the target areas
How to Apply:
The detailed ToRs for this consultancy can be accessed here: https://practicalaction.org/consultancy-to-undertake-a-baseline-assessment-in-turkana-county-kenya
Interested consulting entities that have capacity to deliver this TOR are invited to submit a complete proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Baseline Survey for Enhancing water access and systems strengthening for arid and semi-arid lands Project ” so as to reach Practical Action on or before 23rd July 2019.