Job Vacancy: Women in Rwandan Energy (WIRE) Coordinator
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice.
The organization provides research, development, and technical services to government and commercial clients in more than 75 countries.
The East Africa Energy Program (EAEP) is a four-year project to increase on-grid electricity access, accelerate private sector investment, and improve the enabling environment of the power sector in East Africa. RTI International leads implementation of the program, which is funded by Power Africa, a U.S. Government-led partnership coordinated by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).
RTI International seeks to recruit a Women in Rwandan Energy (WIRE) Coordinator to be based in Rwanda for this program.
Job Summary: The WIRE Coordinator will work closely with USAID/Rwanda, the Rwanda Technical Lead, an energy specialist and a gender expert to support the implementation of a university apprenticeship program; development of a technical training program with Rwanda Energy Group (REG); expansion of WIRE professional network; creation of the WIRE network mentorship program; gender mainstreaming implementation and training program; designing of the National Energy and Gender Mainstreaming Strategy with the Ministry of Infrastructure (MININFRA) and
implementation of community outreach activities, amongst other activities.
S/he will also provide high level representation for the program, as well as manage the WIRE support team based in Rwanda.
- Lead efforts in building a rotating apprenticeship program for female university students, enabling students to spend a few months each at a government affiliated energy sector organization, a private company and a development partner or civil society organization.
- Help the gender expert collect accurate information on gender participation in the energy sector, identify structural and environmental barriers to women’s equal participation in the energy sector, and create and maintain a database of women working in the sector.
- Help design and implement a training program for promising women for advancement in the energy sector workplace, including co-launching a technician training program with REG to prepare women for technical roles within the organization and for staffing of the Nyabarongo II Hydropower Plant, which REG targets to be operated fully by women when the project commissions in 2024.
- In close cooperation with USAID, the WIRE Professional Network Steering Committee and other key partners, establish the WIRE secretariat, which will provide high-level oversight over all partner WIRE activities (not exclusively USAID).
Required minimum qualification and experience
- Experience in gender mainstreaming.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in a discipline relevant to energy, international development, capacity building/education, governance and/or gender. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience with a focus on public and private sector engagement, capacity building and/or gender, strategic collaborations.
- Strong knowledge of the Rwandan power sector is preferred. Knowledge of DRC and/or Burundi is desirable.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- English language proficiency
- Excellent leadership, coordination, and organizational awareness skills
- Good listening/communication and client skills
- Superior computer skills, writing ability in English (writing sample required), and presentation skills
- Strong oral/written communication skills and ability to communicate at multiple levels in an organization: and ability to coordinate activities with officials from host country government, US Government, NGO’s, and other agencies
- Ability to build effective relationships with all clients, peers, and stakeholders
- Ability to work hands-on, independently, and within a team.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented setting.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the Job Title as the subject line of the email by 14th August by 5.00 p.m.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
RTI International is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
*No applicant will ever be asked for any payment either to secure a role with RTI International or as a follow-up to having been awarded a position with RTI International. If anyone ever approaches you asking for any such payment, please immediately email email@example.com