Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Vacant Positions: Field Officer – Mpesa on Women’s Economic Empowerment in Kenya Project
Reporting To: Senior Field Officer
Start Date: 12th August, 2019
Duration: 2 Months
Deadline to Apply: 5th August,2019
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is an international non-profit research organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to
global poverty problems.
IPA works in partnership with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations in the fields of health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture. We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the Project: M-PESA, the mobile banking arm of Kenya’s leading cell phone operator, Safaricom Ltd, began operations in March 2007 and is now ubiquitous. Virtually every adult in the country has an account.
While the service is used to pay for goods and services at the point of sale, to settle monthly utility bills, the predominant use is still person to person remittances within extended families and other networks.
The study aims at evaluating the impacts of M-PESA on women’s economic empowerment through a comparison of outcomes between mobile money users andnon-users.
This study will play a fundamental role in helping to understand the impacts of mobile money on women’s economic freedom, decision making and mobility.
About the position: The Field Officer under the general supervision of the Senior Field Officer and within the limits of Innovations for Poverty Action-Kenya policies will implement survey field
activities and functions.
Below is a list of some of the general duties and responsibilities of the Field Officer, to be carried out as needed according to the determination of the Senior Field Officer.
The commitment sought for this position is a minimum of 2 months.
This position will be based in Nairobi.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Data collection on SurveyCTO
- For phone surveys: ensure timely collection of quality data by conducting surveys, interviews and other scheduled activities by telephone and rigorously follow the study protocol with minimal supervision.
- Ensure that data integrity is always maintained and minimize errors in data collection and transmission.
- Ensure proper respondent identification and administration of informed consent.
- Completion of scheduled activities each day in a timely manner including keeping logs of work accomplished and call backs as assigned by SFO and MPESA management.
- Providing study management team with regular feedback on phone survey challenges.
- Assist with organizing materials in readiness for fieldwork.
- Provide feedback during debriefs on data collection and survey instruments that will inform and monitor improvements in project operations.
- Interact with respondents with the highest level of integrity, respect and understanding.
- Assist in daily electronic devices maintenance and storage.
- Other tasks as assigned by the MPESA management team.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or a diploma with relevant experience
- At least 1 year of research experience with extensive experience in implementing data collection.
- Previous experience in survey administration using CAI (computer assisted interviewing) i.e. ODK, SurveyCTO etc.
- Demonstrated experience in data collection at various levels (piloting and data collection).
- Excellent management and organizational skills
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently and a team player
- Excellent verbal communication skills in English and Swahili.
- Previous tablet-based survey experience / computer literate.
- Prior experience conducting phone surveys is an added advantage.
To apply CLICK HERE.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Field Officer-Mpesa Project-Nairobi. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant at any recruitment stage.