Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Job Vacancies: Field Officer – Strengthening Person-Centered, Accessibility, Respect and Quality of Maternal and Newborn Health Outcomes (SPARQ) Project
Reporting To: Senior Field Officer
Start Date: 21st August, 2019
Duration: 1 Month (with possibility of extension)
Deadline to Apply: 7th August, 2019
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is an international non-profit research organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
IPA works in partnership with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations in the fields of health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the Project: Mistreatment of women during childbirth has been gaining increasing attention in the developing world, including in Kenya, but less is known about women’s experiences of abuse when seeking family planning services and post-abortion care in this setting.
The primary research objectives of this research is to better understand and measure person-centred care for childbirth, family planning, and abortion / post-abortion care, and also to use this information to inform the development of interventions aimed at improving women’s experiences during care at the facility.
This study focuses on facilities near peri-urban Nairobi, Kenya.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Showing initiative in improving one’s work environment and making efforts to improve one’s capacity
- Ensuring that the use of project equipment and materials are restricted to work-related purposes only and immediately reporting any anomalies immediately to management
- On non-field days: conscientious performance of office work (interview debriefing, error checking, data entry, photocopying, organizing data, etc.) and refresher trainings/learning.
- Completion of scheduled activities each day in a timely manner
- Interact with facility staff and respondents with the highest level of integrity and understanding
- Assist in daily organization of documents, equipment and storage
- Ensure data integrity is maintained always and minimize errors in data collection
- Networking with the different components of the project and reporting appropriately to your supervisor
Project and Data Collection Duties
- Recruit and screen potential respondents for eligibility at health facilities
- Conduct interviews with respondents using SurveyCTO
- Visit health facilities and respondents at home as per protocol, to conduct interviews
- Ensure respondents feel comfortable and safe, and that their confidentiality is protected
- Debrief with team after interviews
- Assist in organizing materials in readiness for field work
- Other tasks as assigned by management
Qualifications and Experience:
- A university degree or College diploma in Public Health, Social Sciences, Education, Economics, Statistics, or related fields.
- Excellent Oral and written communication in English and Swahili.
- Ability to handle and speak with people from diverse cultural back grounds
- Ability to work independently and as part of the team and avoiding/minimizing conflicts with the rest of the team members.
- Experience with data collection using both paper surveys and computerized surveys.
- Ability to be flexible and comfortable interviewing both illiterate and high cadre individuals while maintaining professionalism.
- Experience in electronic data collection using SurveyCTO, ODK or any other CAIs.
- Experience in developing work plan, survey tracking and reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to work in demanding environment including occasional weekends.
To apply CLICK HERE
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Field Officer-SPARQ Project. The statements are not intended to be an
exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA
will never request any form of payment from an applicant at any recruitment stage.