Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. We help communities survive and move beyond emergencies. When natural disasters strike, economies collapse or conflict flares, Mercy Corps is there. We see global challenges as an invitation to pioneer innovative, sustainable solutions.
Mercy Corps is looking for committed and dynamic individual to take up the following position:
Position: Communications and Learning Coordinator
Program / Department Summary: Mercy Corps has been operating in Kenya since 2008, focusing its interventions around four objectives:
1) Peace and Conflict Management;
2) Livelihood/Market Systems;
3) Governance (particularly at the county level); and
4) Youth Employment/Employability (including the social and economic development of adolescents).
The four objectives serve to increase community resilience to drought and other shocks and stresses, and to decrease fragility with a particular focus on Kenya’s Arid Lands. Mercy Corps’ vision for change requires the private sector, government and civil society to work together to create meaningful and sustainable change.
Catalyzed by funding from Google.org, Mercy Corps’ Youth Impact Labs (YIL) identifies and tests creative, technology-enabled solutions to tackle global youth unemployment, accelerating job creation, so every young person has the opportunity for dignified, purposeful work.
In Kenya, YIL focuses on digital marketplaces and platforms that offer services to MSMEs; agricultural supply chain management; and digital work.
General Position Summary:
The Communications and Learning Coordinator will be responsible for leading the development of a communications strategy and execution of the YIL program. S/he will be responsible for the development of messaging, talking points, editorial pieces and internal/external storytelling, management of video production and online presence maintenance, and promoting and increasing the visibility of YIL’s work among different stakeholders. The Coordinator will also be responsible for the conceptualization and preparation of the program’s thought leadership events.
Essential Job Functions:
Communications and Learning
- Develop and execute YIL strategic communication plan (both internal and external) to increase the project’s visibility within the entrepreneurship and youth employment ecosystem in coordination with regional and global efforts.
- Develop a guiding framework to collate and aggregate YIL learnings under a standardized framework, including identifying learning opportunities and appropriate channels of disseminating them.
Content Creation And Dissemination
- Travel to the field when needed to research and gather impact stories, photo and video content of YIL partners, beneficiaries and other stakeholders.
- Work with other YIL’s functions to document and curate a library of stories, byline articles, press releases, etc. based on the program’s activities to be published in the media, reports and other communications forums.
- Prepare content for and regularly manage YIL’s social media platforms (including website page, blog, Twitter, Facebook etc.) as well as ensure that the program has an active online presence.
- Work closely with the regional and global communications team to disseminate content through media channels in order to create visibility for the program.
- Conceptualize thought leadership events in line with the program’s communications activities including workshops, report launches, learning events, fireside chats, etc.
- Lead the preparation of thought leadership events by coordinating content curation, invitations, management of external vendors, onsite execution, budgeting and expense tracking.
- Support the Monitoring and Evaluation team in the documentation of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning findings and generate new and innovative communication and dissemination ideas to increase the visibility of YIL research outputs
- Support the program team to execute partner communication efforts to create visibility of partner activities.
- Work with other YIL team members to contribute content towards regular reporting to the donor.
- Perform any other related duties that may be assigned.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Reports Directly To: Post Investment and Learning Advisor
Works Directly With: Post Investment and Learning Advisor, Program Lead, larger Youth Impact Labs team, Global and Regional Communications team and the field office operations team.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Demonstrated experience in communication and storytelling.
- Recognized qualification in Communications or a relevant field. Masters will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 3-4 years of progressive experience working in communications or public relations, preferably with a focus on entrepreneurship and youth employment.
- Excellent track record in copy writing and editing skills, and a portfolio of quality written products for a variety of formats (e.g. blogs, articles, op-eds, press releases).
- Proven experience in developing and executing communications plans.
- Experience in web design & content production (e.g. video and still photography) is a plus.
- Strong interest in start-ups, entrepreneurship and youth employment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to deeply connect with a range of individuals who have a broad range of backgrounds and expertise.
The Communications and Learning Coordinator should be an avid story teller with a strong passion for communicating impact.
S/he should have the ability to innovate and improve processes as well as possess the flexibility and ability to work and engage with diverse teams and stakeholders.
The ability to adapt quickly to change is crucial for the position
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a Cover Letter and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor).
All submissions must include links to previous work done (Do not attach documents).
Applications should be sent to email@example.com on or before 14th August, 2019.
The email subject line must clearly show the job title they are applying for.
Applications without an appropriate subject heading will be automatically disqualified.
Please do not attach any certificates.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NB: We do not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process