One Acre Fund
Business Intelligence Analyst
Purpose: Work with leaders across the organization to design and build visually compelling business intelligence (BI) solutions; develop our data warehouse as the key driver of information across One Acre Fund
Location: Kigali, Rwanda / Nairobi, Kenya
About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive.
We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests.
We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly.
We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
One Acre Fund plans to serve 10 million farmers by 2030.
To reach this ambitious goal, leaders across all of our countries of operation need access to timely and actionable data.
As a member of the Business Intelligence (BI) team, you’ll partner with leaders across the organization to identify strategic opportunities for data to drive value for our farmers.
You’ll work with members of the tech division and data engineers to build our data warehouse, create datasets, and design dashboard and reporting solutions.
Through your work, you’ll become an expert on our data and it’s source systems. At the root of it, you will identify the most effective ways to get data into the hands of decision makers with the highest possible value addition; and then you’ll do it from start to finish.
As a successful candidate, you’ll be comfortable building relationships in a multi-country, cross-cultural environment and enjoy the challenge of designing global solutions that work in unique and complex local country contexts. You’ll work with both technical and non-technical peers.
We’re looking for someone who will love working with data and seeing the results improve the lives of millions of farmers.
Example projects include:
- Coordinate between field teams in multiple countries to identify the most pressing global data needs
- Create an ETL package to pull impact data into our warehouse; perform transformations to create a multi-country panel data set; and design a portal to share with external researchers
- Strategically expand self service BI, empowering analysts across all business units to access data directly – we believe in getting data in the hands of those who know it best
- Present a business case with strong ROI; then design and build a repayment dashboard to track farmer repayment across all countries of operation
- Optimize SQL queries to improve report performance
- Create a UAT strategy in coordination with our stakeholders; drive testing requirements for a new dataset in the data warehouse; and build confidence in the accuracy of our data across the organization
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people.
You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance.
We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals.
You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, economics, statistics, finance, or a related technical field
- Successful candidates typically have at least two to three years of work experience or equivalent skills
- Technical knowledge:
- BI platforms: preferably Power BI; Tableau, Qlik or similar is also okay
- ETL: building and testing ETL packages
- SQL: writing complex, optimized queries with large relational datasets
- Strong project management skills in a multicultural, multinational environment: converting business needs into technical requirements, managing competing priorities simultaneously, and working in an Agile environment
- Communication in person and in writing with technical and non-technical colleagues at all organizational levels and across cultures
- People management skills, including the ability to give timely and unbiased feedback and to coach through technical and non technical problems
- Fluency in English required, Kiswahili and/or French a plus
- A willingness to live and work in East Africa for at least two years
Preferred Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: Kigali, Rwanda or Nairobi, Kenya
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
Sponsor International Candidates: Yes, Africans nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application link: https://grnh.se/4dccb3971
Closing date: October 28, 2019
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.