Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Job Title: County Administrative Manager
Reports to: Deputy Chief of Party – Operations
Department: Operations – MILE Project
Salary Grade: 7
Country / Location: Kenya / Marsabit
About CRS: Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
Background: CRS, representing a consortium of international non-governmental organizations, local implementing partners and research institutions has submitted a proposal to USAID Office of Food for Peace (FFP) to implement a 5-year Development Food Security Activity (DFSA) in Kenya.
CRS has named its proposed program Mfumo Imara Lishe Endelevu (MILE). The overarching goal of this multi-sectoral activity is to sustainably reduce levels of acute malnutrition in Kenya’s arid and semi-arid lands (ASALs), focusing on Isiolo and Marsabit counties. The activity will be implemented in two phases:
- Phase I (1.5-2 years) Research, test approaches and collaboratively design a context-sensitive, multi-sectoral activity that sustainably reduces acute malnutrition.
- Phase II (3- 3.5 years): Activity Implementation and System and Institutional Strengthening
Job Summary: The Administrative Manager will manage the provision of responsive, effective, and efficient operations in Marsabit including CRS interests with local government agencies, to ensure implementation of high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable.
S/he will provide leadership in the management of the office, with emphasis on administration, human resources, security, transport, procurement and external relations with government and other partners. S/he will work closely with the Deputy Chief of Party for Operations, and in coordination with CRS Operations Department main office, to ensure strong and effective management systems are in place and program implementation is carried out with high quality and efficiency.
- Plan, coordinate, monitor and report on activities and required resources to ensure cost efficient and quality service delivery from administrative support functions. Anticipate delivery challenges to ensure service continuity.
- Approve expenses, in line with CRS approval matrix, monitor spending, and make budget adjustments in line with operational needs and donor requirements.
- Serve as the security focal point for Marsabit County. Proactively manage security and mitigate security risks. Ensure a safe work and living environment through leading implementation of safety and security protocols and staff care and well-being best practices.
- Provide guidance and leadership in making systems efficient, effective, transparent and in line with the agency and donor’s policies, procedures and regulations, ensuring integrity and compliance to the agency accepted standards.
- Effectively manage talent and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, and complete performance management for direct reports. Monitor and assess performance to ensure adequate capacity.
- Support the operational transition from MILE Phase 1 research to Phase 2 implementation in Marsabit County.
- Monitor day-to-day operations to ensure all operational services (HR, Finance, Supply Chain, Admin, ICT) are delivered with high quality in an efficient manner and adhere to policies and to ensure accountability and integrity to CRS and Donor’s standards and requirements. Manage risk and address challenges that affect the proper stewardship, optimal utilization and maintenance of program assets and resources (financial, human, and material). Ensure coordination with Main Office OPS Department.
- Report immediately to the DCoP-Operations any issues, constraints and challenges in complying with CRS and Donor’s standards policies and regulations and with government’s laws.
- Create and maintain the proper conditions for learning. Establish a safe environment for the sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to small deficiencies. Identify capacity strengthening needs for staff and partners and coordinate with CRS Kenya program and operations teams to address capacity strengthening.
- Ensure completion of the mandatory CRS online courses and submit the completion report to the DCoP-Operations and CRS Kenya HR Manager
- Adhere to CRS’ principles of confidentiality in relations to staff, partners, vendors and other stakeholders. Report to the management potential irregularities or any misbehavior that occurs
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or other relevant field. Master’s Degree would be a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in administrative support functions, with increasing responsibility. Office management experience a plus.
- Experience with an NGO a plus
- Knowledge of procurement and general office administrative/management issues
- Previous experience with donor funded projects or knowledge of donor regulations
- Staff management experience and abilities
- Experience in management of safety and security a plus
- Proficient in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information management systems.
- Experience working and living in Marsabit County a plus.
- Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
- Able to live in an environment where everyday comforts may not be readily available.
Required / Desired Foreign Language
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; ability to draft and edit reports.
- Excellent verbal communication skills in Kiswahili.
- Dialects local to Marsabit County a plus.
Travel Required: 25% of the time within the county
Key Working Relationships:
- Supervisory: Administrative assistant (Marsabit county)
- Internal: Country Representative, Head of Programs, Head of Operations, Chief of Party MILE, DCOP Operations MILE, System Strengthening Specialist Marsabit, County Research Coordinator, MILE Program team, and Nairobi based operations staff.
- External: Local government officials, Local/international NGO offices, and UN agencies operating in the project area.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Leadership and Management Competencies
- Communicates strategically under pressure
- Manages stress and complexity
- Actively promotes safety and security
- Manages and implements high-quality program activities
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Written applications indicating the reference number of position applied for and CV including day-time contact phone numbers, as well as names and contact information of three references should reach the below-mentioned by Close of Business Monday September 30, 2019.
Human Resources Manager
Catholic Relief Services – Kenya/Somalia Program
Note: Catholic Relief Services (CRS) does not charge any fees from applicants for any recruitment. Further, CRS has not retained any agent in connection with this recruitment
CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer