Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Job Title: Senior Project Officer – Transition
Reports to: Deputy Chief of Party
Department: Programming – MWENDO Project
Salary grade: 8
Country / Location: Kenya / Kisumu
Contract Duration: 1 year
About CRS: Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality.
CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
Background: CRS is implementing a 4-year orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) program, MWENDO, which seeks to empower local and county-level OVC stakeholders to strengthen the formal and informal HIV and child protection systems and services and the linkages between them, including cross-sectoral service referrals and coordination to ensure quality service delivery for OVC and their households.
MWENDO is supporting 7 counties to transition out of USAID/PEPFAR funded support by September 2020.
In order to responsibly exit, MWENDO will focus on
1) graduation of households; and
2) working with county actors to continue advocating for increased resources to support child welfare using the investment cases
Job Summary: The SPO Transition will be responsible for facilitating the transition with support from MWENDO’s Systems Strengthening/Sustainability team. S/he will report on all project activities related to county systems strengthening, specifically with respect to OVC in support of CRS’ work serving the poor and vulnerable.
His/her thorough and service-oriented approach will ensure that the project consistently applies best practices and constantly works towards improving the impact of its benefits to those we serve. The Senior Officer will coordinate closely with other MWENDO Project Officers to contribute to a holistic, integrated, and comprehensive project implementation.
S/he will also work closely with clinical partners and health facilities in the 7 target counties to orient them on the social services that enhance adherence to treatment for CLHIV.
- Facilitate the transition of OVC caseloads from MWENDO to County Government support in 7 counties.
- Along with SPO Systems Strengthening, work to transfer MWENDO’s holistic approach to sustainability at the County level to support OVC and household graduation/transition and social service system strengthening ensuring alignment with national case management guidelines
- Coordinate and work closely with the other component SPOs to ensure integrated approach to sustainability within MWENDO project.
- Engage and strengthen partnerships relevant with Government of Kenya-department of children services, and county governments especially MoH applying appropriate application of partnership concepts, tools and approaches.
- Provide capacity strengthening to county government counterparts through trainings, workshops, facilitated group interactions as well as accompaniment through regular communication via email, telephone and site visits to support the successful mainstreaming of sustainability approaches transitioning counties.
- Champion learning and data use for decision making with county counterparts
- Identify/adapt and promote evidence-based sustainability tools, methods or approaches that DCS can use to advocate for funding and support of child welfare issues for sustainable support of vulnerable children and their households and strengthening of a HIV-sensitive social service system
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Accountability & Stewardship
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Strategic Mindset
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Science , Gender, Public Health, International Development or a related field. A relevant master’s degree would be an added advantage
- A minimum of 6 years for Bachelors’ degree holders or at least 4 years progressive experience for master’s holders in project support in the field of child focused integrated ECD, HIV/AIDS, and other health-related projects in Kenya and for an NGO.
- In-depth understanding of donor expectations for program results, outcomes, impact, and reporting.
- Experience in participatory action planning and engagement of stakeholders at various levels.
- Experience monitoring projects and collecting relevant data preferred.
- Excellent understating of GOK structures and systems, and demonstrated experience managing relationships with local government structures.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment.
- Strong communication, relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with local stakeholders. Representation abilities.
- Presentation, facilitation, training, mentoring, and coaching skills
- Proactive, results-oriented, and service-oriented
Required / Desired Foreign Language: Strong technical writing skills in English
Travel Required (include percentage of required travel, if applicable): Up to 50 % of time to MWENDO transition counties
Key Working Relationships:
- Supervisory: No supervisory role.
- Internal: MWENDO System Strengthening/Sustainability Team
- External: County Governments in transition areas, IPs, other stakeholders, and the community.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas.
We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Written applications indicating the reference number of position applied for and CV including day-time contact phone numbers, as well as names and contact information of three references should reach the below-mentioned by Close of Business Monday September 30, 2019.
Human Resources Manager
Catholic Relief Services – Kenya/Somalia Program
Note: Catholic Relief Services (CRS) does not charge any fees from applicants for any recruitment. Further, CRS has not retained any agent in connection with this recruitment
CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer