Position: Project Assistant 8 / Entomology Technical Coordinator
Location: Kisumu, Kenya
Division: International Development (IDD)
Contract: PMI VectorLink Project
Supervisor: Technical Manager
Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1.
Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria.
Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world.
Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic.
Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
Under the supervision of the Technical Manager, the Entomology Technical Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing all entomology work conducted including field entomology, laboratory analysis of samples, data management and ultimately assisting with report writing including preparation of tables and graphs.
The Entomology Technical Coordinator will be responsible for developing schedules for field entomology testing and laboratory analysis of samples as well as close supervision of field entomology teams and implementation of standard operating procedures.
Specific tasks include the following:
- Develop schedules and targets for the field, laboratory, insectary and data teams.
- Ensure that quality assurance measures are put in place and adhered to in all data collection.
- Provide regular supervision of field, insectary, data and laboratory teams to ensure accuracy of data.
- Monitor progress and meet milestones according to a predefined work plan.
- Conduct preliminary analysis of data and report writing as required by the Entomology Technical Manager.
- Assist with procurement requests related to the field entomological activities
Qualification requirements include the following:
- Minimum BSc in Biomedical sciences or related fields with at least 2 years experience working in a busy entomology research environment.
- Detailed knowledge of field and laboratory entomology procedures.
- Must be experienced with budgeting for laboratory reagents to monitor consumption and timely placement of new orders
- Management and supervision experience.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal support from the Entomology Technical Manager.
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Fluent in English.
How to Apply
Interested persons are requested to submit a CV including referees and cover letter indicating educational background, experience, skills and why you think you are the best candidate for the position through the link below.
or through VCKenya_Recruiting@pmivectorlink.com
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
*Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.*
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce.
Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits