Scope of Works / Terms of Reference
Organization: Mercy Corps Kenya
Project / Program: Kenya Catalytic Jobs Fund
Assignment: Develop a go to market strategy
Prepared by: Enock Wangila
1. Programme Background
About Kenya Catalytic Jobs Fund
Through the Kenya Catalytic Jobs Fund, the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID) is looking to test and support innovations with the potential to stimulate large-scale job creation.
The Kenya Catalytic Jobs Fund (KCJF) is a 4-year catalytic jobs fund that will, through a mix of technical assistance and grant support, test competitively selected innovations that have potential to unlock market constraints and create jobs, including for the most vulnerable, e.g. people living with disability.
The programme contains a strong emphasis on learning and evidence.
It seeks to generate knowledge, data and evidence on ways of addressing barriers to job creation and disseminate findings to relevant stakeholders, including potential investors.
Mercy Corps is implementing the pilot phase of the KCJF programme.
About Savanna Circuit Tech
Savanna Circuit Tech is a manufacturing and last-mile distribution company based off West Pokot.
The company provides dairy farmers and cooperatives with portable solar milk chillers, quality control equipment and farmer management systems that give real-time data from milk collection points while cutting milk post-harvest losses for maximized profits through its leasing model.
Savanna Circuit manufacturers MaziwaPlus, a solar-powered, portable milk chiller.
The company operates a leasing model where it leases out MaziwaPlus to dairy farmer cooperatives and acts as a collection agent for the cooperatives.
Currently, Savanna Circuit mounts MaziwaPlus on motorbikes to facilitate milk collection from smallholder dairy farmers across West Pokot.
On collection, farmers receive an SMS notification on the amount of milk collected with payment made by the cooperatives.
The company works with 3 dairy milk cooperatives: Lelan Highland Dairies (5,100 members), Muruny Farmers’ Cooperative Sacco (1,400 members) and Kaptabuk Farmers Cooperative Sacco (3,300 members).
2. Purpose of engagement
Kenya Catalytic Jobs Fund is looking for a strategy consultant that will review Savanna Circuit’s business model and develop a go-to-market strategy.
The engagement seeks to achieve the following objectives:
1. Define the target market for Savanna Circuit’s offering, including sizing the current and potential market, and identifying high potential growth areas.
2. Define the Savanna Circuit’s value proposition across its different customer segments per each unique product/service
3. Develop a marketing strategy for Savanna Circuit’s existing offering
4. Develop a sales strategy for Savanna Circuit’s existing offering
5. Develop a set of metrics to be used to measure and track success of the go-to-market strategy
6. Develop a pitchbook/pitch deck for Savanna Circuit for showcasing to potential clients and investors.
To achieve the above, the following activities are envisioned:
A field visit to Savanna Circuit to better understand the company’s products, services, existing customers and operational processes so as to have sufficient background information for the scope of work. For this, the selected service provider is expected to spend no less than 5 days at Savanna Circuit’s location.
A market assessment study that defines the target customers, size of the addressable market, competitive analysis, market trends and customer segments.
Handover and documentation of the process, key findings and recommendations.
The key deliverables from the project are:
1. A go-to-market strategy report that details the market problem, addressable market overview, Savanna Circuit’s offering & value proposition, competitive landscape, business model, marketing & sales strategy and metrics for measuring & tracking success.
2. A pitchbook/pitch deck for Savanna Circuit for showcasing to potential clients and investors.
3. 2-pager style thought leadership document that provides actionable recommendations, based off learnings from conducting the research, that can inform decision making within the broader industry
To apply provide a brief proposal of no more than 10 pages/ slides containing the following:
Detailed approach, methodology and work plan
Organization structure, team structure and brief bios of team members; for individual consultants, a detailed profile and resume would be sufficient. If applying as a firm, include firm registration documents (certificate of registration)
Three work samples of recently completed related assignments e.g. go-to-market strategy report, market research report, pricing strategy report etc.
Detailed budget, clearly outlining each cost, the quantity, and the total anticipated project cost
Proposals must be sent digitally by 12:00 pm (midday), Friday, 20th September 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Proposals will be evaluated on the criteria as captured in the annex section
5. Reporting Lines
The consultant shall work under the direct supervision of the COO of Savanna Circuit with strong liaison with the post investment and learning advisor, Kenya Catalytic Jobs Fund.
6. Ownership and control of work / publication
Ownership and control of all work products related to this scope of work and partner engagement shall belong to Savanna Circuit, while learning outputs shall belong to Mercy Corps. Any use of material, learnings or publications derived from the work product will require prior written approval from Savanna Circuit and Mercy Corps.
7. Timeframes and Budgets
Kenya Catalytic Jobs Fund anticipates that the assignment will take up to 40 working days from the 23thof September 2019.
The total costs of the assignment will be negotiated with the service providers.
Annex: Selection Criteria