Job Advertisement: Managing Director
Kenya Railways (KR) is a statutory Corporation managed in accordance with the provisions of the Kenya Railways Corporation Act Cap 397 and the State Corporation Act Cap 446 of the Laws of Kenya.
KR is currently seeking a dynamic and experienced strategist and leader to join and lead a vibrant team.
The Managing Director is answerable to the Board of Directors for the broad responsibilities of the implementation of the Corporation’s statutory mandates, strategic goals and the management of its resources.
The job also includes giving direction and leadership for the achievement of Corporation’s vision: ‘‘TO BE A PROVIDER OF WORLD CLASS RAIL SERVICES’’, the development of its strategy and the attainment of its annual goals and objectives.
The Managing Director will be responsible for:
- Providing strategic leadership in accordance with the mandate of the Corporation as stipulated in the Kenya Railways Corporation Act.
- Formulating, implementing and reviewing both the Strategic and Business Plans of the Corporation to achieve the Corporation’s mandate.
- Overseeing corporate planning and financial operations of the Corporation, ensuring that sound fiscal and risk management practices are in place to maintain the Organization’s financial strength and sustainability.
- Ensuring that all financial and non-financial resources and assets are utilized in the most effective and efficient manner and are prudently managed and preserved. The MD must maintain sound policies, controls, prudent procedures, adequate records, safety, security and accountability requirements that meet international standards and benchmarks.
- Developing and maintaining positive external relationships, external communication initiatives, strategic partnerships and positive corporate image with stakeholders, while actively seeking new opportunities for growth.
- Management and administration of the top leadership and staff of the Corporation in line with the mission and vision of the Corporation supported by adequate manning levels, finances, facilities and partnerships.
- Ensuring implementation and fulfillment of the policies and agreed objectives, performance targets and service standards of the Corporation and reporting thereon to the Board.
- Advising the Board of Directors on all matters within the Corporation’s responsibility.
- Ensuring compliance with applicable professional, legal, regulatory, ethical, corporate compliance and governance requirements to protect the Corporation against reputational and legal risks.
- Ensuring proper management of budgets, funds and property of the Corporation, and developing economic, efficient and cost effective internal management structures.
- Managing and implementing change initiatives to achieve desired business plans and culture.
For appointment to the position of the Managing Director, a candidate must:
- Have a Bachelors degree in any of the following disciplines: Engineering, Business Administration, Marketing, Strategic Management, Law or relevant social and physical sciences from a recognized Institution;
- Have a Masters degree in any of the following disciplines: Engineering, Business Administration/Management, Marketing, Strategic Management, Law or relevant social and physical sciences from a recognized Institution;
- Have at least fifteen (15) years relevant experience in the Public Service or in a large and reputable organization in the private sector, ten (10) of which should be in an executive management/leadership position; and ten (10) in post qualifications serving experience;
- Have undertaken a leadership course lasting not less than four (4) weeks from a recognised institution;
- Have undertaken a Corporate Governance course from a recognized Institution;
- Possess good oral and written communication skills, including report writing;
- Have a good understanding of the mandate of Corporation and its role in realisation of the national development agenda;
- Member of relevant professional body;
- Conversant with ICT;
- Have good interpersonal, negotiation skills; and
- Meets the requirements of chapter six of the constitution on integrity and Article 10 on national values and principles.
Terms of Offer: An attractive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the right candidate.
Application Requirements / Procedure
Suitably qualified candidates should apply in confidence enclosing:
i) Curriculum Vitae (CV)
ii) Academic & Professional Certificates
iv) National Identification Card (ID)
In compliance with Chapter Six of the Constitution, attach Clearance Certificates from:
i) Criminal Investigation Department (CID)
ii) Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
iii) Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
iv) Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
v) Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
If you can clearly demonstrate the ability to meet the above criteria, please submit your application along with all documents listed above to reach Kenya Railways on or before 11th October, 2019.
The application should be addressed to :
Block C, 2nd Floor
Workshop Road off Haile Selassie Avenue
P. O. Box 30121 – 00100
Candidates may also send their applications to email@example.com attaching all the above listed documents.
The advertisement is available on Kenya Railways website: www.krc.co.ke.
Note: Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Kenya Railways is an equal opportunity employer.