Job Title: Regional Program Director, Coffee
Reports to: Global Coffee Director
Location: East Africa Region
TechnoServe Background: TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
Program Description: TechnoServe is helping to build a sustainable global coffee industry that can lift millions of farming families out of poverty. For five decades, we have developed a set of market-based solutions to meet this challenge and applied them in communities across Africa and Latin America.
Our approach address four key areas: better farming, better processing, better supply chains and better environmental and social standards.
Position Description: Every employee of TechnoServe is responsible for carrying out the TechnoServe mission, and demonstrating the core values in their day to day operations.
The Regional Program Director (RPD) provides strategic and technical oversight for the coffee practice area. The position’s key responsibility is to ensure a high quality of program design and implementation.
Additionally, the position supports efforts to expand programming and capture and leverage expertise in a practice area.
Key roles and responsibilities:
- Oversees implementation of programs with a constant drive for improved quality
- Ensures sound managerial and financial performance of programs by overseeing the management of program budgets, work plans, monitoring systems and key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Provide coaching, direction and leadership to team members in order to achieve results, including overall management, coordination and quality monitoring team’s input and work content.
- Makes regular field visits and provide coaching to ensure program targets are met
- Recruits and retains quality managerial staff to implement programs
- Supports the country teams to implement and document all stages of the Coffee Farm College and Sustainability Programs to ensure targets are met
- Manages relationships with national and international agro-input suppliers to ensure the required inputs are locally available
- Supports review, update and improvement of training in the Farm College training
- Supports annual review of sustainability standards, associated training and audit materials in the region
Innovation & learning
- Develops innovative approaches to TechnoServe’s work and share these innovations with the practice to promote the adoption of best practices
- Communicates progress, learnings and achievements of the programs internally to the regional practice area.
Strategy and new business development
- Supports identification of new and strategic program opportunities
- Assists in division and country-specific strategic planning related to the sector
Industry stakeholder management
- Supports sector partnerships and alliances in the region, overseeing program manager participation in national stakeholder
- Represents TechnoServe in relevant events in the region
- Performs other related duties as required
Required skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in management, business administration, agricultural economics, international development or relevant field, or equivalent work experience
- At least 10 years of multinational experience in coffee value chain development, agribusiness, business strategy, industry analysis, financial management, and monitoring and evaluation
- Strong leadership, supervisory, problem-solving, communication and coordination skills required
- Demonstrated competency in program and staff management, coaching and team leadership
- Experience working on donor funded projects is preferred
- Strategic and analytical thinking skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and cross-cultural skills
- Fluent user of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Verbal and written fluency in English
Success Factors: Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core Competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty: Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Diversity/Inclusiveness: Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation for diversity and supports diversity efforts. Interacts effectively with and inclusively with people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, ages, and genders.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates open exchange of ideas and information; uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision making/Problem Solving: Is able to analyse situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgement in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results Oriented/ High Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job;accurately checking processes and tasks.
- Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals. Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
- Business Acumen: The ability to use information, ask the right questions and take decisions that make an impact on the overall business performance.
Job Specific / Technical Competencies include:
- Financial & Resource Management: The ability to estimate, justify, and manage appropriate funding levels to support goal accomplishment. Managing Resources is about understanding human, financial, and operational resource issues to make decisions aimed at building and planning efficient project workflows, and at improving overall organizational performance.
- Computer Literacy: Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use specific computer programs or applications for own functional area. Has the ability to improve performance by integrating new and existing technology into the workplace.
- Internal Client Focus: Client Focus is based on the ability to understand the client’s needs and concerns in the short to long-term and to provide sound recommendations and/or solutions.
- Compliance & Governance: Compliance with and knowledge of company policies, applicable legislation, grant requirements, donor contracts, the local labor code and tax laws.
- Emotional Intelligence: The act of knowing, understanding, and responding to emotions, overcoming stress in the moment, and being aware of how your words and actions affect others. Emotional intelligence consists of 4 attributes: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management.
- Strategic Thinking: Managers should recognize key actions, underlying problems, make connection and patterns, see consequences and implications. Anticipates obstacles realistically and plans ways to deal with them.
- Staff Development: Managers are required to work with employees to plan on the development of skills and abilities so that they can fulfil current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
- Trust to Delegate: Managers should have trust and willingness to assign responsibilities to direct reports and give them discretion and authority to carry them out.
- Feedback/Coaching (mentoring): Managers should give instructions, suggestions, explanations, and feedback to subordinates. (SPI+R)
How to Apply:
Please submit your application (by email only) to email@example.com with the position title placed in the subject line.
(1) cover letter describing your interest,
(2) curriculum vitae.
Please include all requirements in a single document (pdf).
Applications will be treated confidentially.
Deadline for applications is 11th September 2019.
Note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
TechnoServe encourages diversity in all levels and across all facets of our organization.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes