Since 1963 and in 146 countries, ACDI / VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy.
Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI / VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security in order to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society.
ACDI / VOCA currently has approximately 49 projects in 30 countries and total revenues of $151 million.
Job Title: Policy Advisor
Project: Scaling the Impacts of USAID’s Resilience Programming through Local Systems
Reports To: Chief of Party
Job Summary: The Policy Advisor will be embedded in the Frontier Counties Development Council (FCDC) Nairobi office and will support the development and implementation of key policies related to livestock market systems that have been prioritized by the counties.
The Advisor will guide the counties on how to complete the budgeting and processes themselves. He/she will strengthen the capacity of the FCDC secretariat to coordinate and promote demand-driven policies and provide support in analyzing relevant current policies, codes, regulations, and taxes at the county, regional, and national levels. The Advisor will also identify any policy gaps in creating an enabling environment for expansion of economic opportunities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide overall leadership and technical direction on all policy-related aspects of the project.
- Collaborate closely with FCDC, county governments and other stakeholders to identify and prioritize key policies to address under the project.
- Facilitate and serve as key technical advisor on the development and implementation of target policies and policy strategies.
- Facilitate knowledge and capacity development.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of regional trends, challenges, opportunities, and good practices.
- Provide technical support to any relevant studies, assessments or analyses.
- Develop and strengthen relationships with key stakeholders.
- Ensure all policy-related components of the project adhere to quality technical standards and good practices.
- Ensure activities, processes, and products are inclusive and demand driven.
- Prepare analytical reports, briefing notes, background papers, and talking points, as required.
- Provide support to the Monitoring Evaluation and Learning process.
- Post graduate degree in one of the following; organizational development, development studies, policy development, international development or equivalent qualifications and experience. Advanced degree desirable.
- Minimum of five years of proven experience in leading policy and regulatory activities in the development sector or closely related field
- Experience in institutional strengthening and of working with rural communities required.
- Demonstrated experience working in collaboration with multiple stakeholders and project implementation teams.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of, and experience with, governance bodies and international corporate governance requirements
- Demonstrated experience in policy development, analysis, and implementation.
- Outstanding planning and coordination skills, with ability to handle multiple activities concurrently, work under pressure, and meet tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal, diplomatic and negotiating skills and ability to build relations at all levels.
- Thorough knowledge of Kenyan laws and policies related to livestock market.
- Excellent oral communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with persons on all levels both inside and outside the company.
- Strong written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to write required documents in a clear, concise, well-organized manner.
- Ability to work effectively in an atmosphere of multiple projects and deadline pressure.
- Self-motivated and able to follow through to end of assignments while meeting goals and deadlines.
- Ability to travel independently within the county.
- Fluency in English and Swahili, written and oral.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume to HRKenya@acdivoca.org no later than October 24, 2019.
In the subject line, please include the position title.
Resume and all associated application documents shall be provided as a single attachment in and list long-term employment history and any relevant short-term consulting work.
Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone.
Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer.
Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.