Job Vacancy: Assistant Class Teacher
The Nairobi Waldorf School Trust was founded in 1999. We welcome more than 300 children on two campuses in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Karen campus includes toddler, playgroup, and kindergarten classes as well as primary grades 1 to 8.
The Lavington campus consists of toddler, playgroup, and kindergarten classes in addition to primary grades 1 and 2.
We have over 45 teachers and staff across both campuses, including academic educators, learning support staff, musicians, games coaches, grounds keepers, full service kitchen staffs, security teams and administration.
What our school has to offer through Waldorf education is as relevant as ever, as increasing demands of modern life and its related social, political, and economic issues require creative solutions.
Our school has established a nurturing and growing community which shares the vision of raising and educating children holistically, in true consciousness and love, with the goal of enabling them to contribute toward establishing a more peaceful and sustainable world.
We are connected to the global Waldorf community and are part of the growing Waldorf movement in East Africa. Our school is proud to host mentors and teachers from around the world, offering a diverse experience for our children and community members alike.
We are governed by an elected Board of Trustees comprised of faculty, administration, parents, and respected members of the community.
They, in partnership with the school management, develop and establish school policies, oversee financial decisions, and approve faculty and staff appointments.
We offer both Kenyans and Foreigners residing in the country an exclusive opportunity to raise competent, capable, and happy human beings.
Job Type: Full Time
Reporting To: The Pedagogical Chair
Application Deadline: 18th October, 2019
Job Purpose: Assist the teacher in teaching and educating the students according to the curriculum and the Education needs, abilities and attainment potential of individual students.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Reinforcing lessons presented by teachers by reviewing material with students on an individual or group basis
- Keeping the teacher informed on any student issues
- Enforcing school and class rules to promote good behaviour amongst students
- Assisting the teacher in record keeping such as tracking attendance and calculating grades
- Helping teachers prepare for lessons by getting materials ready or setting up equipment
- Helping supervise students in class, between classes, during lunch and recess and on field trips
- Assisting the teacher with clerical tasks, such as typing, printing and distribution of materials
- Accompanying students on field trips or at extracurricular events, as needed
- Updating the bulletin board and operating classroom equipment when required
- Updating student and parent information.
- Promoting grooming and hygiene amongst students
- Assisting in the preparation and implementation of daily plans
- Completing requisitions for books, desks or other supplies
- Any other assigned duties.
Skills and Qualifications Required:
- A Diploma will be considered
- Must be registered with Teachers Service Commission (TSC)
- A certificate in Waldorf Education is an added advantage
- At least 2 years ‘experience in teaching
- Demonstrated computer skills
- Clear English writing and communication skills
- Demonstrated love for the subjects
- Flexible and open to change.
If you are interested in the position and meet the above qualifications, send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the position title Assistant Class Teacher on the subject line by Friday the 18th October, 2019.
The Nairobi Waldorf School Trust (NWST) is an equal opportunity employer.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.