Catholic Relief Services (CRS), EARO
Position Title: Regional Finance Support Officer (RFSO)
Reports to: Regional Finance Officer- EARO
About CRS: Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
Job Summary: Working closely with the Regional Finance Capacity Support Officer (RFCSO) and the Regional Cost Application and Pricing Advisor (RCAPA), the RFSO will provide support to EARO CP finance departments on a need basis. S/he will support the agency’s competitive positioning in the pursuit of business development initiatives.
S/he will oversee the development of budgets and select sections of the cost application, including but not limited to, the management and risk mitigation sections of technical applications, where applicable. S/he will provide country programs with information, analysis, and capacity building to improve their cost application skills for enhanced CRS’ reputation and revenue. EARO being the largest region in CRS, also demands constant technical finance support especially when CP Finance Managers/ Deputy Finance Managers are on leave.
S/he will provide country programs with direct financial support, analysis, and capacity building to ensure CP’s continuous and smooth operation while they are understaffed with key personnel. This will include, but not limited to assisting the regional and country level management to analyze, develop and implement systems which allow the agency to increase operational efficiency and promote a competitive niche in different operational areas within an environment of Compliance and adequate Risk Management.
He/she will ensure adequate stewardship of agency resources and sound financial reporting in line with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), CRS policies and procedures, local laws and donor requirements.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
Accounting, Budgeting, Reporting and Capacity Building
- In close collaboration with the DRD/PQ, DRD/MQ, RFO, and regional budget managers, support in the preparation and submission of the Annual Program Plan (APP) related to EARO regional projects and the Current Year Spending plan updates.
- Support Program Managers in developing budgets for new programs/projects and revisions of existing projects. Ensure that reasonable estimates of direct cost and shared direct cost are used in budgets, based on historical data and current market conditions. In addition, s/he ensures that accurate indirect cost and support services rates are used in accordance with policies and guidelines.
- Assist in the review of EARO projects forecasts and spending plans on a quarterly and annual basis and as required.
- Ensure assessment of all EARO project partners in line with the SRFM policy and that the assessment results inform the forecasting, funding, reporting and monitoring requirements for each partner.
- Any other duties as assigned.
Financial Management Support
- Ensure completion of other tasks/responsibilities that fall within the current job description of the CRS/CP Finance Manager/ DFM (As Acting FM/ DFM as needed)
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Support all cost applications for EARO country program proposals and other countries as needed that meet the defined threshold.
- Prepare budgets and various sections of the cost proposal as well as review sub-grant/subcontract budgets and cost proposal materials prior to submission to the donor.
- Review budgets for proposals, analyze budget cost items and make recommendations as part of the proposal development team.
- Develop cost proposal modifications in competitive range discussions.
- Oversee and gather sourcing and verification of pricing information and unit costs.
- Ensure compliance with terms and conditions of the RFA’s and other donor proposal requirements.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant federal regulations and restrictions and internal policy.
- Maintain well documented records supporting pricing used in the development of proposals.
- Develop proposal templates and other proposal forms as required.
- Participates in proposal reviews and After-Action Reviews, incorporating lessons into best practice guidelines and related job tools.
- Work in an on-the-job training and mentorship capacity training for country programs to build capacity of staff capacity on proposal development.
- Develop start up plans and coordinate startups for new projects above the regional defined threshold in close coordination of the RFO.
Compliance and Risk Management
- Review Internal Control Assessment systems annually, and during each CP visit, validate assessment coverage, process and rating as per Internal Control Policy.
- Perform Transaction Processing Reviews for CPs.
- Monitor and assess the internal control structures of the country programs and their capacity to fully comply with applicable laws, donor requirements and CRS policies and procedures.
- In collaboration with country program management and country level Compliance Officer (if applicable), perform onsite reviews and capacity assessment of large grant recipients (local partner and A-133 filing agencies).
- This involves review and assessment of management structure (segregation of duties) and evaluation of internal control systems, financial, property and record management, etc.
- Compile and review reports/documents with data on compliance status and risk management (annual Risk Reports, Internal Control Questionnaires, internal and external – including A-133 – audit reports, FAST, etc.), as well as risk-related data from internal or external resources with current or potential impact on CRS operations. Prepare trends analyses with recommendations for addressing systemic issues to preempt potential risks for review by regional management.
- Ensure overall compliance with Patriot Act, FFATA, Non-US USAID SR monitoring and relevant reporting requirements.
- Support the roll out of the risk management component of the agency strategy.
- Coordinate compliance trainings (startup workshop) for large grants.
- Monitor the regular updating of CPs risk registers, which are finalized at the end of each FY. Review before incorporation in the Year End Close-package.
- Serve as a resource person on compliance and audit issues.
- Develop comprehensive annual compliance review plan covering all areas of risk (as identified in Internal Control Questionnaires, annual Risk Disclosure Reports, FAM, FAST, External (including A-133) and Internal
- Audit reports and through periodic Risk Assessments) for regional management approval.
- Take investigation assignments as and when needs arise, as per the FAM, then assess and evaluate systemic and operational factors contributing to the problem and offer actionable recommendations.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or management or related field; preferred Master’s degree in any related field; with a bias in Accounting
- Candidates must have 5-7 years’ experience working for a non-governmental organization or a reputable international organization in the area of relief and development, with 2-3 years’ experience in a senior supervisory position;
Required Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Proven leadership and inter-personal skills and ability to effectively manage relationships with key stakeholders;
- Strong budget management skills with a basic knowledge of major donor regulations governing cash and material resources;
- Experience with both emergency and development program planning and budgeting;
- High degree of expertise with competence in computerized accounting systems, particularly Sun System and Q&A, as well as MS Word and MS Excel.
- Excellent inter-personal, communication, negotiation; able to liaise directly with donors, partners, CRS HQ and regional staff;
- Highly pro-active and self-disciplined; with strong critical thinking skills;
- Understands and exemplifies diplomacy and a service-oriented approach;
- Strong organizational and planning skills; able to provide direction and vision;
- Ability to build and support teams in order to achieve targets and outputs;
- Demonstrable cultural sensitivity and respect regardless of religion, ethnic group, class or gender;
- Willingness to travel as needed (25%-50% time).
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities: Regional Office Finance staff
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: Deputy Regional Director/MQ, Deputy Regional Director/PQ, Country Representatives, Heads of Programming and Heads of Operation; HQ and Regional Office Finance and Business Development Staff. Admin Staff, entire Country Program Staff, Partners
- External: Donors, Partners, Peer Organizations and Prime Recipients.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Written applications indicating the reference number of position applied for and CV including day-time contact phone numbers, as well as names and contact information of three references should reach the below-mentioned by Close of Business Thursday October 10, 2019.
Human Resources Manager
Catholic Relief Services – Kenya/Somalia Program
Note: Catholic Relief Services (CRS) does not charge any fees from applicants for any recruitment. Further, CRS has not retained any agent in connection with this recruitment
CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer