Job Title: Finance Intern
Reports To: Projects Accountant
Staff Reporting To Post-holder: None
Location: Based in Nairobi
Duration & Hours: Short-term appointment of 3 months
Purpose of the Role: Farm Africa is looking for Interns to be based in Nairobi to perform a wide variety of tasks within its finance department.
Farm Africa is looking for dynamic, young people to enrich its team with a passion for finance and NGO orientation.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- To assist in processing petty cash vouchers verifying accuracy & correctness of the transactions
- To assist the project accountant in processing payments both for the country office and the projects in a prompt manner and in accordance with international financial standards and those stipulated in the Finance Manual – ensuring also that a good rapport is maintained with the suppliers and service providers
- To assist in preparing bank, cash and other assigned account reconciliations
- Assist in ensuring timely remittance of statutory deductions on a monthly basis
- To maintain an up to date, neat and adequate filing system for all accounting documents and ensure easy retrieval
- To assist in requesting for and maintaining mileage and service records for the office vehicles and prepare recharge worksheets on a monthly basis
- To assist in preparing the bank charges recharges worksheet on a monthly basis
- To assist in processing Staff Working Advance requests
- To assist in maintaining the advance control accounts and ensuring that retirements are done accurately/ in accordance with Farm Africa finance procedures and promptly
- Any other related duties assigned by the Finance Manager or his/ her designee
Education, qualifications & other knowledge
- CPA section 4
- Degree in finance/ accounting or related field is an added advantage
Skills & Abilities
- Deep and clear understanding of NGO principles and activities.
- Sound understanding/experience in financial processing and management
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Keen to detail and accuracy required and willing to learn
- Strong organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective work relations at all levels.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision, proactive and a good team-player.
- High level of integrity and honesty.
Investing in smallholder farming is the number one way to combat poverty in rural Africa.
Farm Africa is a leading NGO specialising in growing agriculture, protecting the environment and developing businesses in rural Africa.
Expert. Deep expertise and insightful evidence-based solutions are at the heart of everything Farm Africa does.
Grounded. Positive change starts with Africa’s people, so our experts work closely with local communities, engaging them in every level of decision-making.
Impactful. We take a long-term view so we can deliver lasting changes for farmers and their families.
Bold. We model innovative new approaches and are not afraid to challenge strategies that are failing.
How to Apply:
If you meet the above requirements, send your cover letter indicating the title of the position and updated CV with email and telephone contacts of three professional referees to, email: email@example.com before or by 5.00pm on 15th October 2019.