International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Position Title: National Radiology Officer
VN No: IOMKCO/VN/016/2019
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Classification: National Officer Category, Grade NOB
Type of Appointment: One Year Fixed Term, with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 16th October 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Context: Under the direct supervision of National Radiology Officer and overall supervision of the Regional Quality Management & Compliance Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing support and contributing to the different Tele radiology services and reporting on chest radiographs of Migrants and refugees from IOM MHD field operations and non-IOM panel sites from different parts of the world under the different health assessment programmes:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
I. Primary CXR reading and monitoring of radiologist work
1. Review and correctly interpret the digital screening chest X-rays (CXRs) using the tele- radiology systems. Identify radiological signs of TB and other incidental findings in accordance with the technical guidelines of the resettlement countries. Compare the current with previous CXR findings and document the change, for cases with follow-up radiographs.
2. Assess quality of chest radiographs to meet optimal diagnostic criteria and the required standards. Request for repeat CXR when the CXR is suboptimal and for additional view when needed. Recommend for further imaging by documenting in the system when needed.
3. Submit the CXR reports to eMedical websites for Canada and Australia cases. Use UKTB Global website for reporting cases under UKTB programme. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
4. Coordinate with and guide the Radiographers and the Medical Clerks on the different country operations X-ray units for optimizing the CXR quality, timely eMedical completion, and delivery of the reports.
II. Quality assurance and quality control support
5. Review the queries and feedback of Panel physicians on the CXR reports. Discuss and explain the findings of the CXR images, and if correction is needed, revise the reports accordingly.
6. In coordination with the Nairobi Radiology Coordinator, get second opinion for clarifying suspicious CXR findings, for addressing any service process concerns in the unit and any related issues.
7. Ensure that the radiological reporting process is fraud less. Participate in internal and external image quality and CXR reports quality control (QC) and quality assurance (QA) measures.
8. Provide second opinion confirmatory for CXR reading requests coming from different IOM field operations globally when needed.
9. Participate in the process of the IOM global Teleradiology QC control CXR reading and analysis.
III. Administrative and technical guidance support
10. In coordination with the National Radiology Coordinator and consultant Radiologists on call, prepare the weekly IOM Teleradiology Radiologists duty schedule according to the caseload and the timing of the image transfer from local missions.
11. Assist in the preparation of radiological presentations and quarterly/yearly reports, and Other MHD publications and reports produced by the Center.
12. Assist in reviewing the monthly report of Tele radiology primary reading and quality control analysis stat reports prior to submission to the country operations and resettlements countries and cooperate in CXR related statistical works.
13. Participate in regular Radiologist staff training, image viewing sessions and internal Feedback to consultant Radiologists to maintain the quality of the Tele radiology service and staff capacity building.
14. In coordination with the Nairobi and Global Radiology Coordinator, assist in developing radiology guidelines or standard operating procedures (SOP) and training materials.
15. Arrange and make sure back up Radiologist is available for the service when going on leave. If needed, assist in establishing and training backup local radiologists.
16. Perform other related tasks as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors’ degree in Medicine, Bachelor’s degree in Surgery with four years of relevant professional experience; Master’s degree in Diagnostic Radiology from a recognised university/institution;
- Specialist Recognition Certificate from the Kenya Medical and Dentists Board;
- Two years experience as a Radiologist Post Specialist Recognition.
- Experience in Radiology;
- Thorough knowledge of the natural history, radiological and clinical presentation of tuberculosis;
- Experience in staff administration, data analysis and management;
- Experience in interpretation of screening CXR and CXR reporting for different resettlement countries an advantage;
- Experience in quality radiology assurance services and in writing guidelines and Training materials an advantage;
- Effectively applies knowledge of health issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level;
- Maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work.
- Through knowledge of English and Kiswahili.
Inclusion & respect for diversity
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
Integrity & transparency
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
- Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
- Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
- Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
- Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
- Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
Managing and Sharing Knowledge
- Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
- Encourages knowledge sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge as captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
- Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
- Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
- Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the organization.
- Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
- Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
- Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
- Listens and seeks to understand without bias and responds appropriately.
- Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others’ views and ideas and respects their contribution.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application by sending a Motivation Letter and the updated CV to the email address KCOrecruitmentMHD@iom.int referring to this advertisement.
Closing Date: 16th October 2019
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
NO FEE: The International Organization for Migration (IOM) does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, process or training). IOM does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank details.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.