Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Vacant Position: Senior Field Officer (Phone Survey) – UBI Project
Reporting To: Field Manager
Start Date: 9th October, 2019
Duration: 2 Months
Deadline to Apply: 3rd October,2019
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is an international non-profit research organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
IPA works in partnership with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations in the fields of health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the Project: A universal basic income (UBI) is a recurring, unconditional cash transfer sized to meet basic needs and paid to all members of a society. Proponents argue that a UBI has the potential to eliminate extreme poverty and to counteract the harmful effects of rising inequality in wealthier countries. The objective of the project is to test the hypothesis that a universal basic income is an effective way to eliminate extreme global poverty.
This is a central policy question currently being debated in several emerging markets, both in developed and developing countries, and is also highly relevant for foreign aid policy. In addition to informing policy debates over the adoption of a UBI, our study design will also let us address two deeper conceptual questions about the design of social protection in the emerging markets.
IPA is partnering with Give Directly which is already involved in delivering cash transfers as part of two large-scale randomized controlled trials – one on the general equilibrium effects of cash transfers, and one on the role of aspirations.
About the Position: Reporting to the Field Manager, the Senior Field Officer will primarily be responsible for managing the team collecting data via phone surveys.
He/she will be predominantly based in IPA Siaya office.
Below is a list of some of the general duties and responsibilities of the Senior Field Officer, to be carried out as needed according to the determination of the Field Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Data collection management which includes leading a team conducting phone surveys and provide feedback on SurveyCTO programming, assist in survey translations, overseeing, monitoring and conducting data collection.
- Work closely with staff to develop work schedules before any activities begin. Discuss and seek the approval of the project management on the work schedules, make changes/adapt if necessary, following the outcomes of these discussions.
- Ensure that all the teams have all necessary material/tools required for data collection. This must be made available on time.
- Ensure completion of scheduled activities each day in a timely manner including keeping logs of work accomplished.
- Organizing data collected and providing feedback on operations and survey instruments.
- Conduct spot checks, back checks, sit-ins and give feedback to the Field Officers and management team that will inform and monitor improvements.
- Human resource management which includes: supervision, monitoring and appraisal of FOs.
- The SFO will be expected to report to the FM on activities and plans and will be required to participate in weekly meetings with the FM and the rest of the project team.
- Other tasks as assigned by the project management team.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree or a diploma with one years’ experience
- Excellent oral and written communication in English and Swahili. Language skills in Luo and Kipsigis is an added advantage.
- One year of data collection management experience with extensive experience supervising and implementing data collection and managing Field Officers.
- Prior work experience in data collection using SurveyCTO and managing electronic data collection systems.
- Excellent management and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage data collection at various levels (planning, collecting, backchecking and reporting)
- Flexible, self-motivated, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently and a team player
- Advanced user of Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word)
- Experience in leading a team
- Experience in conducting data quality checks for quantitative data.
- Experience in developing work plans, survey tracking and reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to work in demanding environment including weekends.
- Prior experience managing teams conducting phone surveys is very desirable
CLICK HERE to apply online.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Senior Field Officer-UBI Project. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant at any recruitment stage.