Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1.
Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world.
Under this contract, Abt will implement entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 24 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project is led by Abt Associates, an international development organization composed of dedicated professionals who provide technical assistance, research, analysis, and practical training services in more than 128 countries.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project seeks candidates to assist in implementing in six sub counties (Rongo, Awendo, Uriri, Suna East, Suna West and Nyatike) in Migori and Eight Sub- counties (Rangwe, Homa Bay Township, Ndhiwa, Mbita, Rachuonyo North, Kabondo, Kasipul and Suba) in Homa Bay county Kenya in the following temporary positions:
Job title: IEC Assistant
Supervisor: IEC Coordinator
Location: Migori and Homa Bay Counties, Kenya
No. required: 14 (8 in Homa Bay and 6 in Migori)
Overall Purpose: The IEC Assistant will assist in coordination and implementation of project related community Social Behaviour communication and mobilization activities in the sub County under the supervision of the IEC Coordinator. S/He will facilitate and coordinate all community mass mobilization activities, branding / marking and communication activities in the said sub County working closely with the sub county coordinators, site coordinators and site supervisors to implement PMI VectorLink pre, during and post spraying SBC activities.
- Ensure strengthened partnerships and collaboration between Sub County Partners and other like-minded partners working in the respective sub county.
- Coordinate all mass mobilization activities in the respective sub county by ensuring that the sub location mobilizers coordinate their movement well and are able to visit their assigned groups/ institutions.
- Ensure mobilization activities are implemented as per the mobilization calendars and are well coordinated with spray calendars.
- Collect and document success stories weekly from the field and ensuring that all those interviewed for success stories have signed consent forms
- Submit weekly progress reports to the IEC Coordinator capturing progress of mobilization activities, challenges experienced, lessons learned and successes
- Together with the site coordinator and the site supervisors, train and orient both the sub location mobilizers and the team mobilizers on their key roles
- Ensure that the sub location mobilizers have materials to carry out their mass mobilization activities. E.g. megaphones, mobilizer hand book, reflector jackets, note books and pens
- Ensure that the various operations sites are branded with banners at the entrance and have posted IRS stickers on major public areas and IRS SOP vehicles
- Conduct quality control and assurance checks to ascertain community mobilization and communication work is done to agreeable standards and correct key messages are being given to the community.
- Provide updates and analysis of key developments in targeted thematic areas.
- Organize and participate in community sensitization activities and ensure that minimal or zero refusals to IRS is experienced.
- Attend stakeholder meetings including chiefs barazas, church meetings, school visits, youth and women group meetings together with the sub location mobilizers on behalf of PMI –Vector link at the sub location and ward level and documenting the deliberations
- Attend county commissioners’ weekly briefing, document deliberations and submit to the IEC Coordinator
- Pay special & focused attention to special groups that have been hard to reach eg fisher folk, gold miners, traditional wizards & boda boda riders by meeting their leaders and ensuring that their members are available to have their structures sprayed
- Attend pre-natal health talks at the sub county facilities to talk to pregnant women about IRS and other malaria prevention measures
Required qualifications and experience:
- Vocational training plus one and a half years’ experience in the area of community development, public health, social sciences or other related discipline. Bachelor’s degree is highly preferred.
- Must have had two (2) years supervisory experience in community mobilization.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven experience managing IEC and community outreach /mobilization activities for local health programs is essential, experience with malaria prevention programs preferred;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
- Conversant and able to communicate in the local language, Kiswahili and English.
- Advocacy related skills would be an added advantage.
- Ability to work under pressure and independently with minimum supervision.
- Ability to train on heath related issues.
- Strong computer skills required
- Report writing skills desirable
NB: These positions will be on a short term contract, not more than 2 months and/or on need basis.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and updated CV to KenyaJobs@abtassoc.com with the title of the position being applied for in the e-mail subject line specifying the work location preferred i.e. county and ward e.g. ‘Store keeper-Migori county – North Kamagambo’ by COB, November, 3rd 2019.
Equal Opportunity Employer: As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm’s values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.