RTI International is an independent organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition.
With a worldwide staff of more than 4,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and a full spectrum of multidisciplinary services.
Universities in North Carolina founded RTI in 1958 as a centerpiece of the Research Triangle Park.
RTI is currently seeking to fill vacancies for the Kenya Crops & Dairy Market Systems Development (KCDMS) Activity which is part of Feed the Future program, America’s initiative to combat global hunger and poverty.
In this regard, USAID has partnered with RTI International on a 5-year cooperative agreement (KCDMS Activity) to help increase agricultural production and reduce poverty and malnutrition in Kenya.
The project will also spur competitive, resilient market systems in Kenya’s horticulture and dairy sectors.
We are currently seeking applications for the following position:
Communications and Knowledge Management Assistant
Job Summary: Communications is an essential component in the overall “Feed the Future” goal of promoting global food security, poverty reduction and improving nutritional outcomes through agricultural interventions; given the need to continuously share information with key stakeholders in the industry.
As such, the Communications assistant will support the Communication Specialist to oversee the internal and external KCDMS communication functions in the following main areas:
- PR Communications – focusing on enhancing USAID-KCDMS’ visibility and credibility among key stakeholders.
- Developmental Communications – targeting behavior change communication strategies for multiple market systems stakeholders to promote increased technology adoption and innovations, good agricultural practice, improved nutrition as well as social inclusion.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
The Communications assistant shall undertake roles that contribute to the KCDMS communications objectives, specifically;
1. PR Communications (KCDMS’s enhanced visibility and credibility among key stakeholders)
a. Contribute to KCDMS performance communication by compiling weekly bulletins and any other news pieces that are shared with the mission and with RTI.
b. Development and day-to-day management of material that go to USAID, Feed the Future and RTI social media accounts: WhatsApp, Twitter and Facebook. Engage in campaigns that increase KCDMS social media presence. All content must be approved.
c. Contribute to the design, editing, branding formatting of reports, PowerPoint presentations, brochures and communication materials as assigned by Communication Specialist or MEL Director, DCOP and COP.
d. Knowledge management: Ensure the KCDMS shared folder is updated on a monthly basis with all the necessary documents.
e. Work with Communication Specialist in providing guidance to teams internally on USAID Feed the Future and RTI branding and ensuring that the branding requirements are adhered to.
f. Contribute to building the KCDMS photo database/video library: Continuously highlight the KCDMS interventions through photography and video documentation by external teams (Home office photographers etc.)
g. Success story documentation: Work with the Communication specialist to develop success stories for wider dissemination to stakeholders.
h. Events Management: Provide logistical support for Communications events.
2. Take on roles as assigned by the Communication Specialist and or MEL Director with regards to Development Communications support. This includes
a. Grantee Communications Support:
b. Development of strategic promotional materials:
c. Media and publicity support:
The Communications Assistant shall undertake any other roles as assigned by the Communication Specialist, and the MEL Director.
Minimum Required Education & Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, PR, Mass Media, Information Science and 1-year experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent oral and written skills in English. Fluency in Kiswahili preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to be collaborative across projects, flexible and creative.
- knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Communication Design and editorial packages
- Excellent photography and videography skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to listen and communicate well both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work independently
- Attention to detail and accuracy
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae via the below link by 25th October 2019 by 5.00 p.m.
We regret that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
RTI International is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
*No applicant will ever be asked for any payment either to secure a role with RTI International or as a follow-up to having been awarded a position with RTI International. If anyone ever approaches you asking for any such payment, please immediately email firstname.lastname@example.org
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V