Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Job Title: Senior Project Officer – Accountability, Learning & Knowledge Management
Reports to: M&E Specialist
Department: Program Quality (MEAL)
Salary Grade: 8
Country / Location: Kenya Nairobi (Ref.2019/029)
About CRS: Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
Background: CRS is implementing a 5-year Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) program, MWENDO, which seeks to empower local and county-level OVC stakeholders to strengthen the formal and informal HIV and child protection systems and services and the linkages between them, including cross-sectoral service referrals and coordination to ensure quality service delivery for OVC and their households.
Job Summary: Reporting to the M&E Specialist, the Senior Project Officer – Accountability, Learning & Knowledge management will lead the development and implementation of a holistic learning, knowledge management and accountability strategy for MWENDO.
The SPO will coordinate, plan and implement program learning and accountability activities for MWENDO with an aim of ensuring project improvement. The SPO will set-up mechanism to facilitate adaptive management by staff at all levels within the MWENDO program.
S/he will collaborate to development and dissemination of audience-specific learning and accountability products to various audience including target beneficiaries, Government staff, other and I/NGOs. The SPO will also ensure that learning is incorporated into project design by organizing opportunities for reflection, learning and action planning to ensure program adaptation.
- Coordinate the development of a program learning agenda for MWENDO with stakeholder buy-in that ensures the program and its partners continually learn for program improvement.
- Develop and guide implementation a comprehensive knowledge management plan that ensure effective capturing, storage and dissemination of project both tacit and explicit knowledge within MWENDO
- Guide the generation of technical evidence base to address MWENDO’s learning priorities by guiding the conduct of operations research, comprehensive literature reviews and qualitative data collection processes.
- Work with the MEAL specialist to facilitate annual review of MWENDOs theory of change and logical framework to ensure that learning and contextual changes are incorporated into project implementation.
- Work closely with MEAL specialist to establish of a program’s intranet comprising of a searchable knowledge database of emerging practices, tools, and reports for CRS and partner staff to access for learning and adaptive management.
- Develop and implement a broad set of tested knowledge management tools, models and approaches in line with knowledge management needs of Mwendo program.
- Leverage and enhance the CRS’s existing internal knowledge management systems and platforms (e.g. the CRS SharePoint site) to upload and share information
- In collaboration with the project communications specialist, guide project teams to document audience-specific learning products including journal articles, videos, case studies, success stories and disseminate these using various channels such as peer reviewed journal article, community meetings, and project’s intranet.
- Contribute to reviewing, editing and writing of key program reports for internal and external audience.
- Work with MEAL Specialist to guide evaluation and documentation of projects including gathering of qualitative information, success stories, case studies, lessons learned, and other relevant information, ensuring they are appropriately packaged, stored, and shared
- Participate in internal and external collaboration and knowledge sharing meetings to ensure key learning is captured and disseminated across MWENDO staff and partners
- Assess and develop strategic relationships with various stakeholders in the Counties such as government, donors, other NGOs and communities to facilitate knowledge sharing through meetings, conferences, field exchange visits, social media and other online forums
- Work with MEAL specialist to organize quarterly learning events between CRS and partner staff to jointly analyze and reflect on monitoring data in order to produce action items with assigned responsibilities.
- Provide capacity strengthening to LIPs and staff to appropriately package promising practices, develop and submit conference abstracts and prepare quality posters and oral presentations based on conference guidelines
- Identify and provide capacity CRS and partner staff in effective communication, documentation and reporting for improved project outcomes, including training, and mentorship of staff.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Accountability & Stewardship
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Strategic Mindset
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in institutional learning, research, analysis, knowledge management and communication
- Strong background in analysis and evaluation of development assistance programs and experience in the application of statistical methods
- Experience working with international donor agencies, particularly USAID
- Preferably, familiarity with USAID’s Collaborating Learning and Adapting methodology
- At least a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as social sciences, international development and relief, development studies, or other related field. Advanced degree preferred
- Experience engaging with and writing for a range of audiences, including governments and policy makers, multilateral agencies, and the public (national and international)
- Ability to ensure accountability to stakeholders through increased participation, functional accountability mechanism, responsive feedback mechanisms, and adherence to internal and external quality standards and requirements.
- Ability to establish knowledge management and collaborative learning processes at the project level, generate evidence for project and programmatic learning that leads to action, decision making and influence.
- Ability to engage with data, challenge biases and assumptions, pose thoughtful questions, pursue deeper understanding of evidence through reflection and perspective taking, and make informed programming decisions
- Ability to learn, active listening and analysis skills with ability to make sound judgment
- Good relationship management skills and the ability to work closely with local partners and community members
- Presentation, facilitation, training, and mentoring skills
- Attention to details, accuracy and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills
- Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented
- Required/Desired Foreign Language
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, able to and edit reports
Travel Required: Up to/Approximately 40% of time
Key Working Relationships:
- Supervisory: None
- Internal: Technical Advisors, Project Officers, Other CP MEAL and M&E staff
- External: Community members, partner staff, other local stakeholders, MEAL staff from other peer agencies
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Written applications indicating the reference number of position applied for and CV including day-time contact phone numbers, as well as names and contact information of three references should reach the below-mentioned by Close of Business Wednesday October 9, 2019.
Human Resources Manager
Catholic Relief Services – Kenya/Somalia Program
Note: Catholic Relief Services (CRS) does not charge any fees from applicants for any recruitment. Further, CRS has not retained any agent in connection with this recruitment
CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer