Norwegian Refugee Council
Shelter Project Officer – Kakuma
(Kenyan Nationals Only)
Duty station: Kakuma
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated CC project portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- The Engineer, in close coordination with the Project Coordinators, Support Coordinator and Area Manager will develop procedures for the implementation of construction and rehabilitation works in accordance with sound engineering practice, applicable national/county building standards and regulations,
- Will design, supervise construction and rehabilitation works under the relevant core competencies including Education Infrastructure.
- Will develop BoQs for relevant works to be undertaken under the relevant sectors/support departments
- Provide technical support and guidance in evaluation of tenders for construction/rehabilitation works.
- Review and input in to agreements with contractors
- Oversees and supervises works by contractors and provide progress reports/certification as required. Make inputs in to donor reports in coordination with PCs for construction/rehabilitation activities under the respective projects.
- Ensure constructive engagement with other sectors/departments within NRC, local authorities, school administration and other partners including international, local and UN Organisations.
- Participate in and provide update during sectorial meetings and other coordination fora as may be requested by the Area Manager.
- Conduct assessments of potential sites for construction and rehabilitation works
- Support the Project Coordinators in the drafting of new proposals and assessment reports
- Actively promote the rights of refugees, IDPs and host community beneficiaries
- Maintain overall overview of construction/rehabilitation projects in relation to achievements, procedures and timeframes
- Provide guidance to Programme staff in the planning of activities in relation to construction and rehabilitation works.
- Conduct field visits to check work progress in the field, provide technical feedback to contractors and share updates with PCs, Procurement and Management on project progress and/or any concerns from field/site visits.
- Contribute in the preparation of documentation in relation to construction/rehabilitation works for procurement and payment purposes.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in Civil/building and structural design, implementation and supervision of building and civil works.
- Design and supervision of the construction of WASH assets such as boreholes, earth pans, shallow wells, etc
- Work experience in refugee or other displacement areas
- Degree or Higher National Diploma in Structural/ Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Construction Management and any other relevant technical education
- Project management training.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD/ArchiCAD
- A member of relevant Engineering professional body Construction technical knowledge
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
- Strong organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
- Zero tolerance for corruption
- Commitment to the prevention of sexual abuse and exploitation of beneficiaries and others
- Flexible, creative and co-operative
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Highly approachable, trustworthy and confidential
- Very Good English Language level
- Knowledge of NGO operations and the dynamics of the humanitarian sector Goal oriented
Salary / benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Kakuma.
CLICK HERE to apply online
Application deadline: 04/11/2019
*Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position*