Shining Hope for Communities (SHOFCO) … Building Urban Promise from Urban Poverty
We seek to fill the positions of:
Chief Program Officer
Organization Profile: SHOFCO is a grassroots organization that unlocks the potential of urban slum dwellers to lead hopeful and fulfilling lives. SHOFCO disrupts survival mode by providing critical services including health care, clean water, education, and economic empowerment; and links these efforts to a community-led advocacy platform.
SHOFCO is a rapidly-growing organization that currently impacts over 300,000 people across 9 urban slums in Kenya. Over the next 5-10 years, SHOFCO aims to become a national platform for urban slum transformation across Kenya, demonstrating a scalable and replicable model that can be used around the world.
Job Overview: To strengthen its Senior Management team, SHOFCO is seeking to recruit an enthusiastic, results driven, entrepreneurial and highly motivated individual with strong leadership and interpersonal skills to fill the position of Chief Program Officer.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the CPO will be responsible for leading and managing SHOFCO’s wide array of services and programs that include education, health, gender empowerment and WASH. In collaboration with other members of the executive team, the CPO will articulate and implement the strategic vision of the organization; provide leadership in creating and implementing programs; raise SHOFCO’s profile through external communication; provide guidance and professional development to leadership staff in the programs department; and budget management.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Lead overall strategic planning process and ongoing implementation of strategic plan, in collaboration with President/CEO and SHOFCO Leadership Team.
- Provide effective leadership and stewardship to advance SHOFCO’s strategic objectives and growth aspirations.
- Ensure that all program activities operate in alignment with the organization’s strategy, values, and performance standards.
- Prepare an annual operational budget to the CEO and CFO for review and approval, manage effectively within this budget, and ensure sound fiscal management.
- Lead and manage a high-performing team of program directors and managers. Create ongoing opportunities for development and growth of staff at all levels. Promote a culture of accountability and creativity.
- Partner with the CEO to build strategic relationships with a network of public and private sector actors including the national government, UN agencies, and bi-lateral and multi-lateral agencies, corporates, and peer NGOs/implementing partners. Leverage existing agendas and initiatives from this network to scale impact of SHOFCO’s work.
- Strengthen and maintain the organisation’s profile and credibility through media interactions, and speaking opportunities at key events.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Advanced Degree in International Development or related field with knowledge and experience of working with under-served groups.
- At least 10 years’ experience, with 5 years in a senior management role leading complex operations and significant budgets in a global / developing world context, with evidence of producing results.
- Proficiency in Swahili and fluency in English is required.
- Demonstrated expertise in building and driving a network of mission-aligned partnerships.
How to Apply
Please submit an application by email ONLY to email@example.com with the job title as subject line on or before November 6, 2019.
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
SHOFCO is an equal opportunity employer and employment is subject to Child Protection standards including appropriate background checks and adherence to our Child Protection Policy.
We regret that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Disclaimer: SHOFCO does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process. We therefore advise the general public to exercise due diligence when applying for employment.
For more information, please visit www.shofco.org.