Scope of Work
Position: Strategy and Programs Advisor
Activity: USAID Kenya / East Africa Journey to Self-Reliance (J2SR) Mission Support Program
Implementer: SoCha LLC
Company background: SoCha (a portmanteau of Social and Change) is an independent Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (ME&L) firm that provides bespoke solutions to social challenges. Since our inception in 2010, we have grown into a fully-fledged ME&L services firm that specializes in advancing innovative methodologies and changing the way donors find solutions to social problems.
Activity background: USAID / Kenya East Africa seeks to advance what self-reliance means for Kenya and the broader region. To support USAID/KEA to align programming toward promoting self-reliance outcomes, SoCha LLC has recently been awarded and will implement a two-year (optional three-year) mission support program to enable USAID to pivot into this journey to self-reliance (J2SR).
To support this journey, the J2SR program will support USAID/KEA to understand context, align programs, collect data, understand complexity, and apply learning to program adaptation.
Thus, the Journey to Self-Reliance program aims to:
- Strengthen monitoring, verification, and reporting systems;
- Improve the utilization of evaluations, assessments, and analyses to fulfill learning objectives and inform decisions;
- Improve internal and external coordination, collaboration, and learning;
- Enhance practices of learning and adapting; and
- Support strategy development and process management.
J2SR is both a support contract and a core learning mechanism for the USAID/KEA mission.
J2SR will support USAID/Kenya and East Africa across all technical areas, operating in Nairobi, Kenya with travel in both Kenya and the East Africa region.
J2SR will partner with local organizations and local firms and will work to build local capacity to drive ambitious development agenda throughout Kenya and East Africa.
Position background: The J2SR program, implemented by SoCha LLC, seeks a highly motivated Strategy and Programs Advisor to lead support to USAID Kenya/East Africa in their development of strategy, policy, and programs.
The Strategy and Programs Advisor will work with other J2SR staff and teams to ensure USAID/KEA strategic decisions, policy, processes, knowledge, and communications are integrated into all J2SR learning products and services.
The Strategy and Programs Advisor will lead the J2SR program efforts in objective five, and lead a team including a Communications Specialist and other possible short-term or long-term technical assistance consultants. The Strategy and Programs Advisor will design, lead, and execute both strategy-related trainings, workshops, and events, and other such events for USAID/KEA and J2SR.
Lead Strategy, Programs, and Communications team to deliver J2SR technical deliverables and all technical tasks under Objective 5: Support strategy development and process management as part of the program cycle to enable continuous planning, delivering, assessing, and adapting of development programs
General areas of support:
- Technical and organizational development support in developing, monitoring, adapting, and communicating USAID/KEA strategies and associated enabling environment
- Technical and organizational development support to streamline management processes to enable strategic and efficient implementation
- Designing and delivering on-demand training for implementing partners and local organizations
- Manage team including Communications Specialist, and short or long-term technical assistance consultants to deliver high quality products and services for USAID/KEA
- Collaborate with other J2SR technical and operational teams to deliver integrated support to the mission and implementing partners
- Lead J2SR support in the design, organization, and execution of internal and external learning and collaboration events, workshops, and trainings with USAID personnel, implementing partners, and other stakeholders
- Generate ideas and act as a knowledge partner to support USAID/KEA SPA office in systems strengthening
- Support USAID/KEA Strategic Planning and Analysis (SPA) office to conceptualize, create, reengineer, or develop mission orders, templates, tools, knowledge management, and communications systems
- Develop information and knowledge products: case studies and evaluation summaries
- Lead J2SR support to other USAID implementing partners and communicate USAID/KEA strategies, policies, procedures; support the design, organization, and execution of trainings on USAID policy
- Recruit and manage STTA to support development, monitor, and validate strategy documents
- Recruit and manage local experts, expat experts, and local firms to supplement J2SR program: organizational development and learning, strategic thinking, digital storytelling, event management, and logistics
- Manage logistics or logistics support staff and partners to secure venues for partner meetings, learning events, office retreats; with accompanying photos, videos, infographics, stories, printouts
- Provide and manage internal writing and editorial support, document review, error checking for various monitoring, evaluation, and learning products
- Other tasks as needed to achieve J2SR objectives and support USAID/KEA strategy, programs, communication, and knowledge management portfolio
- Master’s degree in international development, organizational behavior, public policy, or related field
- 5 years of experience leading teams in using data and stakeholder feedback to make team-wide, office-wide, company-wide and/or mission-wide strategy decisions
- 3 years of experience working with USG and/or international development clients or activities facilitating stakeholder engagement, learning and/or strategy
- Excellent English writing skills
- Excellent English oral communication skills, strong presentation skills
- Workshop design, adult learning, facilitation skills and experience highly preferred
- Experience working on USAID contracts and understanding of USG policies, regulations, and procedures, extensive knowledge of ADS 201
- Experience living and working in East Africa, Kenya preferable
- Experience writing strategy documents and/or revising/managing production for major public-facing development publications highly preferred
Place of performance: Nairobi, Kenya with occasional travel within Kenya or East Africa region
Reporting: The Strategy and Programs Advisor reports to the Chief of Party.
How to Apply
Interested candidates must submit their CV by end of the day, Friday November 8, 2019.
To apply, kindly click on this link: https://socha.today/strategy-and-programs-advisor-socha-llc