Posting Title: Chief, Office of The Executive Director
Job Code Title: Chief of Staff
Department / Office: Office of the Executive Director (OED) UN-Habitat – United Nations Human Settlements Programme
Duty Station: Nairobi
Posting Period: 10 October 2019 – 23 November 2019
Job Opening Number: 19-Political Affairs-UN-HABITAT-124155-R-Nairobi (X)
Staffing Exercise: N/A
Org. Setting and Reporting: The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
This post is located in the Office of the Executive Director (OED) UN-Habitat.
Under the guidance of the Executive Director, the incumbent’s responsibilities will be as follows:
- Directing and managing the Office of the Executive Director (OED) through ensuring overall coordination of the substantive support to the Executive Director in the implementation of his/her mandate on behalf of the Secretary-General.
- Providing strategic planning of the Executive Director’s political and managerial objectives in cooperation with heads of Branches and Offices at UN-Habitat.
- Providing policy advice and recommendations to the Executive Director in the exercise of his/her functions.
- Coordinating the activities of UN-Habitat Branches and Offices as related to the Executive Director’s responsibilities and monitoring implementation.
- Maintaining liaison with high-ranking representatives of Member States, as well as other international organizations and external partners on substantive, political and procedural questions and providing advice to the Executive Director on these issues.
- Managing the correspondence of the Executive Director and coordinating follow-up across UN-Habitat.
- Overseeing the preparation of and reviewing draft correspondence, official statements and reports for the Executive Director’s signature or clearance.
- Conducting relevant research and preparing background papers on matters of concern to the Office.
- Formulating and implementing the work programme of the Office, determining priorities and monitoring progress; Overseeing the preparation of the budget and processing of human resources matters.
- In the absence of the Executive Director, receiving visitors, performing representational functions, organizing and attending meetings on his/her behalf.
Professionalism: Excellent knowledge of the institutional mandates, policies and procedures of the United Nations; experience in the coordination of the activities of high-level officials and the provision of policy advice on a range of managerial and political questions. Strong analytical skills and proven ability to develop policy options and strategies; ability to establish and maintain contacts at all levels. Sound political judgement and diplomatic skills. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is Motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to other, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information keeping people informed.
Planning and organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
Leadership: Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; Serves as a role model that other people want to follow; Empowers others to translate vision into results; Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand and gain support; Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; Drives for change and improvement; Does not accept the status quo; Shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; Demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
Judgement/Decision-making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; Gathers relevant information before making a decision;
Considers positive and negative impact of decision prior to making them; Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the organization; Proposes a course of action or
makes a recommendation based on all available information; Checks assumptions against facts; Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for
the decision; Makes tough decision when necessary.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in political science, international relations, management or other relevant discipline is required.
- A first university degree with a combination of two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
- A minimum of fifteen years of progressively responsible experience in political affairs and/or management in a politically sensitive environment, including at least five years at the international level in the area of human settlements and/or development assistance is required.
- Experience in providing strategic policy advice to senior level officials is required.
- Experience in executive direction and management of a multilateral organization is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
Working knowledge of another United Nations official language will be an advantage.
CLICK HERE to apply online
Deadline: November 23rd, 2019