The Aga Khan University
Executive Officer, School of Nursing & Midwifery
Chartered in 1983, Aga Khan University (AKU) is a private, autonomous and self-governing international university, with 13 teaching sites in 6 countries over three continents (www.aku.edu).
An integral part of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org), AKU provides higher education in several disciplines, carries out research pertinent to the countries and operates 7 hospitals (soon 8) and over 325 outreach clinics, all at international standards. It has almost 2,500 students and 14,000 staff. The University is both a model of academic excellence and an agent of social change. As an international institution, AKU operates on the core principles of quality, relevance, impact and access.
The Aga Khan University School of Nursing and Midwifery (SONAM) in Kenya and East Africa is a vibrant academic community dedicated to the provision of transformational learning, teaching and research that makes a leading contribution to improving the health and well-being of communities. Teaching faculty are all engaged in active clinical practice, research, and professional leadership with a specialty focus on delivery of upgrade programmes for working nurses and midwives.
Applications are, invited from appropriately qualified candidates for the above position based in Nairobi Kenya.
The position holder will report to the Dean, School of Nursing & Midwifery, AKU, EA and will be, responsible for project management and administrative support for the Dean’s office.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with outstanding communication and administrative skills.
She/he will have demonstrated capacity to manage projects in a complex setting and the ability to foster strategic links within nursing and midwifery establishments and other relevant stakeholders, particularly across East Africa.
- Provide administrative leadership
- Support the development and implementation of the SONAM strategic plan.
- Management of ongoing SONAM projects
- Monitor and report on the changing nursing and midwifery environment and the higher education context specific to Nursing and Midwifery.
- Liaise with the Dean to assist with the management of SONAM budgets
- Promote strategic links within Nursing & Midwifery and the broader community.
- Liaise with University-wide supporting units and networks.
- A Master’s degree in a relevant discipline from recognized university and/or equivalent professional experience.
- Experience in and/or knowledge of nursing and midwifery environment in East Africa or the broader African context.
- Demonstrated experience in administrative leadership.
- Demonstrated experience in management with a proven capacity to develop and manage projects and solve problems.
- Demonstrated ability to manage finances and budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and foster strategic relationships, preferably within the nursing/midwifery and the healthcare industry.
- Outstanding communications skills, including proven ability to prepare and evaluate reports with ability to present complex ideas clearly and concisely in the most appropriate mode and medium.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Strong computer skills.
- An entrepreneurial attitude and a proven capacity to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Works well under pressure with attention to detail.
- Can lead, build and work in a team.
- Is committed to working in a culturally diverse environment
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter, together with a detailed Curriculum Vitae, the names of three referees, telephone contact, e-mail address and copies of certificates should be sent to,
the Manager, Human Resources,
Aga Khan University’s Campus
P. O. Box 30270-00100
using email address email@example.com.
Applications by email are preferred.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications should be submitted latest by November 15, 2019